• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Replacing a Roland encoder sensor (SP-540V)

Wayne Gilbert

How, exactly do I replace the encoder sensor on a Roland SP-540V? Do I need to do anything in the "Menu" first, during or after installation? Where exactly is the sensor located?

rjssigns

Encoder sensor is at the very back of the carriage. The ribbon cables for the heads make it difficult to see and get to.

To get at mine I turn the printers main power switch off and unplug the ether cable.
Then I walk away to let power "drain" from the electronics.
If you are extremely careful and patient you don't need to remove the ribbon cables. Just undo the big clip at the top and gently move just enough to get your screwdriver past.

One thing I will recommend is a very lightly magnetized screwdriver. This will keep you from dropping the screw into the guts of the machine.

I also recommend one of these for reinstalling the screw. http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/SS145/UNIVERSAL-SCREW-STARTER/

Wayne Gilbert

Sucess

Encoder sensor is at the very back of the carriage. The ribbon cables for the heads make it difficult to see and get to.

To get at mine I turn the printers main power switch off and unplug the ether cable.
Then I walk away to let power "drain" from the electronics.
If you are extremely careful and patient you don't need to remove the ribbon cables. Just undo the big clip at the top and gently move just enough to get your screwdriver past.

One thing I will recommend is a very lightly magnetized screwdriver. This will keep you from dropping the screw into the guts of the machine.

I also recommend one of these for reinstalling the screw. http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/SS145/UNIVERSAL-SCREW-STARTER/

Thanks! You are right about using a magnetized screwdriver. Surly would have dropped into guts if I had not used such. Once again, this Forum came through...