• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Replacing a vacuum formed sign

MIPDan

A customer had asked about resurfacing a sign for a building they had purchased. They mentioned that the previous sign was lit, but didn't need theirs to be lit. When they dropped them off today I saw the print and graphics were raised, and I am guessing they are vacuum formed. Since it doesn't need to be lit, can I just replace those panels with another material like ACM? I had the fleeting thought to mount something to raised parts of the surface, but I know that wouldn't last any length of time. I don't do installs, so it is a couple of young ladies or one of their friends who will be placing the signs back together, so it would be nice to have an easy replacement for them. If it matters, the sign face is 45"x56.5", and it is 4'x5' edge to edge.

Attachments

• Sign 1 pic.jpg
    Sign 1 pic.jpg
    538.5 KB · Views: 180
  • Sign 2 pic.jpg
    Sign 2 pic.jpg
    849.4 KB · Views: 77

d fleming

Have new pans poured and formed in white so you can letter the exterior surface. Or they can spend the extra bucks and have theirs done raised or back sprayed with design. Just had wholesalesignsuperstore.com (daniels) do two six foot circles for us back sprayed. They looked great.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's probably a 4" or 4.5" can with a small lip. Those signs are made to support themselves with the pan faces. Anything else goes in there and they fall out, guess who's door their insurance company'll be knocking on ?? If a sign was built in a certain fashion to be replaced with the same substrates, you can't wiggle something else in there, just because it'll fit.

Unless you have translucent paint, just have pans made with no embossing and use translucent vinyl for your customer.

JBurton

Signtologist
Yeah, I'd worry with replacing like for like if it were larger, but at 4'x5', with 1.5" in the trim, I wouldn't worry about it. We just replaced a 6'x12' pan face with a flat face, just made sure to include hanger bar, lest we find the thing in a field two town over. Gino's thinking more along the lines of the 'slimline' cabinets nationals used to push out. They'd be pan formed and practically beat into a frame with .5-.75" retainer, so a tight fit was key in the integrity of the sign.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, didn't see the size difference. When I saw the picture and it had about 1/2" dirt line, I just figured it had very little holding it in. With an 1.5" holding it in. I think ya might be good with acm.