• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Replacing Fascia

Dentafrice

The church I go to is wanting to redo their sign.

It's a brick sign, that goes up to a wooden roof (maybe 6 ft tall total?)

It's shingled, and it has some fascia board right under the rafters. This was painted white, and then black painted letters on it YEARSSS ago.

Well it has cracked, and split over the 20 years it has been there probably, and they are looking to replace it, and put vinyl letters on it.

What do you think would be the best substrate to put back up there, for the media to adhere to?

Obviously not wood, because it swelling would cause major issues..

Any ideas?

Dentafrice

The main thing I'm worried about right now is the surface texture in accepting the vinyl lettering.

I wonder how well aluminum trim coil would accept vinyl lettering? I know over time it can get chalky..

G-Artist

W/o a pic, it is hard to envision what you are doing, exactly.

My school of thought is to always replace, like-kind, if doable.

The paint lasted 20 years and probably is still good but the substrate didn't last. Vinyl
*may* last up to 7 years - it all depends.

Alum. products which are painted will chalk eventually, but not under paint nor vinyl.
Only exposed areas will do that.

Virtually anything will accept a vinyl legend if the substrate is properly prepped.

Vinyl might not be the best choice in this instance. Quick and cheap, but not necessarily
a first choice for a craftsman.

Dentafrice

Here is the thing that would need replacing, note the front where the "First Free Will Baptist Church"

Attachments

• 0523001225.jpg
    0523001225.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 52

skyhigh

Any ideas you ask? Replace the board with dibond, or......donate some LED's to your church.

Attachments

• FREE WILL.jpg
    FREE WILL.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Jillbeans

Couldn't you just face it with Dibond or Omegabond?
Then letter it in black HP.
That actually looks like a pretty simple small job.
Love....Jill

Dentafrice

Maybe you could use some stand off lettering? Gemini???

That's a pretty cool idea.. thanks!

Couldn't you just face it with Dibond or Omegabond?
Then letter it in black HP.
That actually looks like a pretty simple small job.
Love....Jill

HP? New to this so what's the acronym :p

It's def a simple job, but I'm 17 getting into this. The church asked me to come up with some information on updating the sign, so I thought I'd take it on as a little project. Most of my stuff just deals with vinyl.

Any ideas you ask? Replace the board with dibond, or......donate some LED's to your church.

Haha, I like the Bingo idea.. too bad that'd fall through in a vote.. :(

Billct2

HP=cast vinyl
I like Skyhighs sketch, maybe just use the idea for a new top.
Use Signply (alumaply), dibond or alumalite.