• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Replacing Heads on JV3-160SP & having some issues - Need help to get it running

1.) Our printing dept has replaced a number of parts on our JV3-160SP and now have replaced the heads. On the test draws they are getting both sides except on the yellow head. Ink seems to be getting through the lines and filling up dampers. They have tried nozzle washes, etc. with no luck so far.

2.) When we run a print the printer leaves a thin line (which appears to be black) when the carriage returns to capping station.

3.) Printer will run a print but then some of the color goes out after about 1 ft like ink is not getting to heads.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

heyskull

This can be a whole load of things.

But with the yellow dropping out I would suspect a leak/crack from the manifold as these get brittle over time and can snap causing the ink to leak back during print even though it pulls ink through.

As for the thin line on the black it could be just a faulty cable which needs replaced or signs of an imminent head failure.

SC

MikePro

hard to diagnose with only half of the story.
what were the issues leading-up to your desire to change the printheads?
which printheads did you change?
+plus a dozen other questions I'm not sure where to start. there's no "quick fix" for these things unless you can isolate the gremlin under the print cover.
however, it is more than likely you may have been too rough with the damper/manifold & cracked it. if this is the case, you're in luck, as you can take the existing manifold off an old printhead and swap it onto the new one. (carefully, & critical you don't lose the super tiny o-rings that fit between the manifold and the printhead chip).

hard to diagnose with only half of the story.
what were the issues leading-up to your desire to change the printheads?
which printheads did you change?
+plus a dozen other questions I'm not sure where to start. there's no "quick fix" for these things unless you can isolate the gremlin under the print cover.
however, it is more than likely you may have been too rough with the damper/manifold & cracked it. if this is the case, you're in luck, as you can take the existing manifold off an old printhead and swap it onto the new one. (carefully, & critical you don't lose the super tiny o-rings that fit between the manifold and the printhead chip).

The reason for the change was to improve quality of print. Our sales team had become dissatisfied with the quality and ownership wanted to get some more years out of it. The existing print heads had not been changed and were damaged over the years. Our dealer said since the machine was discontinued they would not service it anymore so we decided to take it upon ourselves to make the switch.

We purchased new replacements for all 4 heads. We also replaced the pumps, dampeners, each cap assembly for the heads and print head cables. We haven't changed the capping station itself or the encoder strip. One of the guys was wondering if the slider computer board within the head assembly could be the culprit. I'm having a hard time thinking that would be the problem since if anything was wrong there we would probably get an error message.

It is quite possible that the guys were a bit too rough with it. We will give changing the manifold on that head a shot. We've run out of ideas and figured it would be a process of elimination from here on out so I'll keep the updates coming and try to get some print pics up. Thanks!

MikePro

new captops too? that could be another cause for the dropout on the yellow. if the cap doesn't make a snug-fit when the printheads park on it, it will not have enough suction to refresh the siphon-effect of the ink supply and your printhead will stop laying-down ink once its no longer able to keep-up.

before removing the printhead to verify/fix manifold issues, try pulling-up on the seal around the captop to loosen it upward, so that the printhead can push down against it when parked. run a fillupink and observe the pumps to see if you have a solid stream of ink pulling through the waste line.