• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

replacing translucent face on SgnComp cabinet (flex face, or acrylic)

iSign

so, the existing cabinet is 42" x 144" and has a flex face.
The new client took over the commercial space, and needs to change the sign face. The cabinet is about 20 ft. up & in good condition. I've never had a close look at a flex face before, but I got up there & looked at, measured, and photographed this one. The retaining frame is in good shape & i was able to remove one 44" end. It does not appear to have the slot or track I'm used to seeing for rigid faces, but the top & bottom seem to have a groove that might accept acrylic faces. The flex face has, at it's outer most perimeter, about a 3/8" thickness that rests in that groove, so the groove is a bit wider then I would want for acrylic...

Anyway, I need to quote come options for my client. I hope someone here with some flex face experience can advise me. The excellent condition of this sign (maybe 2 or 3 years old) makes me interested in learning what is required to replace with another flex face. I contacted SignComp who verified that this seems to be one of their boxes, but they don't deal in printing the faces. I may be able to print a suitable scrim banner if that is all I need, however I stock 15oz, and believe the existing material to be much thicker. Also, in addition to the end of the frame being easily removed, the top has piano hinges & I think the intended installation method is for the entire face to be stretched as a first step, and inserted in a manner other than sliding it in from one end. I didn't remember to go over that in my first contact with SignComp yet.

Anybody done this?

Anybody replaced a flex face, with a rigid face?

Excellart offered to sell me a retro-fit rigid face retainer frame, designed to any exact measurements I provide, and to accept a 3/16" acrylic (or polycarbonate) face, but it was a bit pricey to ship here...

any other ideas?

HulkSmash

Hey Isign,
we replace panels like that all the time.
We use the cloudy white lexan. Alot of companies are beginning to shy away from that because they want to "Go green" and they use a banner and clip it to the light box.
But when you use their existing face, just take down their panel - remove their crap - add the new face with translucent vinyl.
If you want to give them the banner option - that banner you're talking about is called Panaflex. It's super strong, much stronger than any regular OZ banner. You typically see them on the side of semis.. and is quite a bit more expensive then regular banner.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

iSign

the existing is a panaflex though, so removing their crap doesn't exactly result in a compatible frame for sliding in new lexan panels, as the groove (or what I could see of it) is at least twice as wide (3/8" - 1/2") as any extrusion I've seen for rigid face cans... I suppose I could rip some skinny furring strips to bond to the face, creating a thicker edge.. but I haven't ever really seen these frame pieces without the flex face in them, so wish to be cautious at the bidding stage, where unforeseen difficulties may lie in wait...

signage

Doug you do know that signcomp has drawing of these parts on the website. Or you can request a CD it has all the drawings!

jmb474

If the existing sign is Panaflex then I would replace it with the same. IT is pretty easy to change out. You can easily put your vinyl graphics onto it. Here is a pic to a 12' x 40' panaflex we changed out. Very easy, we just pull down the sign, put brackets on the new piece, and then install it. There are a few different types of brakets that are used for these installs though.

Attachments

• manor.jpg
    manor.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 134

iSign

thanks brian.. yes I knew that, and had a look, but technical drawings can blur my vision at times, even though I drew them for a living at one time... so a hands on report from actual experienced users is what i was hoping for... AND,
-
-
-
-
looks like i got a hit.. so, signtopia, can you suggest a panaflex vendor you trust?

jmb474

We used Cooley which we got at Montroy. I believe it is 20 oz material. It really is pretty easy. For the one in the pic it had clips attached to a nut and bolt and you vlip it on and tighten it to give it tension. I have also seen some that have a type of screw. This one has screw that went into the frame for tensioning.

Attachments

• areva.jpg
    areva.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 207
  • areva2.jpg
    areva2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 143

Wes Phifer

There are several types of flex face frames. I have never seen one that was very hard. It is generally cheaper to replace than lexan. There are also several brands of the face material. I have used a bunch of cooley with good results and a brand called ultraflex that has been up for about ten years. It won't be hard. Take it apart and put a new one in.