Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Request to Allow PDF's as attachments

Discussion in 'Clipart, Vehicle Templates and Digital Files' started by Dice, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Dice

Dice Active Member

Jun 23, 2008
    I built a simple color test file that I think people would like. It needs to be maintained as a PDF to maintain good vector CMYK.

Seems sort of odd that we can't attach PDF's or EPS to postings?

Tags:
  2. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    Ummm.... you can....

3. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    If you go to advanced and click on manage attachments PDF is listed as an option! Only thing is they do not show up as an image!

4. Graphics2u

Graphics2u Very Active Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Iowa
    I couldn't post a PDF until I became a premium member.

5. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Unless things have changed I remember being able to, just not a well liked option being it has to be down loaded to be viewed!

6. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Try PDF now. Permissions were inadvertently set to off for regular members.

Not sure why you find it odd about EPS and other vector formats commonly shared in violation of copyrights. It is intentionally not allowed at Signs 101.

7. Graphics2u

Jan 31, 2007
    Iowa
    I just got the subscription a few weeks ago, and I'm almost certain the pdf option was not available before, because I was trying to upload one and I had to convert it to a document for it to work.

Maybe I was doing something wrong though. :doh:

8. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    But a pdf can contain vectors

9. Graphics2u

Jan 31, 2007
    Iowa
    True, but I guess a pdf is more useful for information sharing. And if some one posts a message asking for a file and anyone else posts a pdf of it i'm sure it can be remove by the powers that be.

10. Fred Weiss

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Yes true but the extra steps to extract the vectors rule it out as convenient enough for the efficient software pirate. :rolleyes:

11. MachServTech

MachServTech Very Active Member

Sep 19, 2008
    North Carolina
    ?
    PDF
    In Illustrator>File>Open

EPS
    In Illustrator>File>Open
    ?

Not trying to judge your policies Fred, just saying one is as easy for me as the other. Are you saying there are more protections available to the author of the file?

12. Fred Weiss

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    No, I'm saying that PDF serves a lot of useful purposes and, until it is demonstrated that it is being used to circumvent our opposition to file sharing copyright infringement, I am inclined to allow it. Our policy of zero tolerance - banning offense remains in place should anyone choose to test us.

13. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    me too with the just open it with Omega. I agree that allowing vector files to be attached is a bad idea so I too am not trying to give ya a hard time Fred, I just don't see the difference between a PDF with an eps in it or an eps

14. Dice

Dice Active Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Ok that makes sense.

15. Fred Weiss

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    The difference is the common use of EPS for file sharing abuses. PDF is so widely used for the legitimate conveying of information we all benefit from that I am inclined to allow it here. I would hope that any uploads of PDF to Signs 101 containing copyrighted vectors would be reported to us so we can remove them. If it is found that members use this format availability to circumvent our policies, they will be looking for a new forum and we could remove the ability to upload PDFs for informational purposes.

16. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    I was gonna say you could boot them to 201, but you can't even get the virus from that site anymore...

17. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    hope no ones does as most of our people here know better than to file share. there's always some new person who hasn't a clue, but the members are really good about making it clear that it is a no no.

18. Fred Weiss

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Peer enforcement is always superior to getting an Admin involved. :thumb:

19. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    Meanwhile, where the hell is the file ?

20. DOGraphics

DOGraphics Very Active Member