• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Request to Allow PDF's as attachments

Dice

I built a simple color test file that I think people would like. It needs to be maintained as a PDF to maintain good vector CMYK.

Seems sort of odd that we can't attach PDF's or EPS to postings?

signage

If you go to advanced and click on manage attachments PDF is listed as an option! Only thing is they do not show up as an image!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I built a simple color test file that I think people would like. It needs to be maintained as a PDF to maintain good vector CMYK.

Seems sort of odd that we can't attach PDF's or EPS to postings?

Try PDF now. Permissions were inadvertently set to off for regular members.

Not sure why you find it odd about EPS and other vector formats commonly shared in violation of copyrights. It is intentionally not allowed at Signs 101.

Graphics2u

I just got the subscription a few weeks ago, and I'm almost certain the pdf option was not available before, because I was trying to upload one and I had to convert it to a document for it to work.

Maybe I was doing something wrong though. :doh:

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator

Not sure why you find it odd about EPS and other vector formats commonly shared in violation of copyrights. It is intentionally not allowed at Signs 101.

But a pdf can contain vectors

MachServTech

Yes true but the extra steps to extract the vectors rule it out as convenient enough for the efficient software pirate. :rolleyes:

?
PDF
In Illustrator>File>Open

EPS
In Illustrator>File>Open
?

Not trying to judge your policies Fred, just saying one is as easy for me as the other. Are you saying there are more protections available to the author of the file?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
?
PDF
In Illustrator>File>Open

EPS
In Illustrator>File>Open
?

Not trying to judge your policies Fred, just saying one is as easy for me as the other. Are you saying there are more protections available to the author of the file?

No, I'm saying that PDF serves a lot of useful purposes and, until it is demonstrated that it is being used to circumvent our opposition to file sharing copyright infringement, I am inclined to allow it. Our policy of zero tolerance - banning offense remains in place should anyone choose to test us.

Marlene

Yes true but the extra steps to extract the vectors rule it out as convenient enough for the efficient software pirate. :rolleyes:

me too with the just open it with Omega. I agree that allowing vector files to be attached is a bad idea so I too am not trying to give ya a hard time Fred, I just don't see the difference between a PDF with an eps in it or an eps

Dice

Ok that makes sense.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
me too with the just open it with Omega. I agree that allowing vector files to be attached is a bad idea so I too am not trying to give ya a hard time Fred, I just don't see the difference between a PDF with an eps in it or an eps

The difference is the common use of EPS for file sharing abuses. PDF is so widely used for the legitimate conveying of information we all benefit from that I am inclined to allow it here. I would hope that any uploads of PDF to Signs 101 containing copyrighted vectors would be reported to us so we can remove them. If it is found that members use this format availability to circumvent our policies, they will be looking for a new forum and we could remove the ability to upload PDFs for informational purposes.

Marlene

If it is found that members use this format availability to circumvent our policies, they will be looking for a new forum and we could remove the ability to upload PDFs for informational purposes.

hope no ones does as most of our people here know better than to file share. there's always some new person who hasn't a clue, but the members are really good about making it clear that it is a no no.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
hope no ones does as most of our people here know better than to file share. there's always some new person who hasn't a clue, but the members are really good about making it clear that it is a no no.

Peer enforcement is always superior to getting an Admin involved. :thumb: