Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Residential/Commercial Tint?

Discussion in 'Product and Supplier Referrals' started by splizaat, Apr 7, 2020.

1. splizaat

splizaat Very Active Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Pac NW
    Hey Guys -
    We've been getting a lot of inquiries lately from our customers about tinting their building or home windows, for the purpose of privacy or UV or heat, etc.

Currently we have a customer looking for a one-way film (MIRROR) tint for their home windows in a couple rooms of the home. We typically convert a customer over to frost film for this, but they still want to see out.

With the increased inquiries in residential and commercial tinting, we may bring this on as a possibility of added capabilities for our shop. Can you direct me toward a supplier for these films?

Tags:
  2. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Friend of mine that had a commercial tint business used Llumar. Ceramic was the thing for a while now there are infrared blocking films. Can't find the specific YouTube vid right now.

3. splizaat

splizaat Very Active Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Pac NW
    What about just standard darker commercial windows? Who distributes these items?

4. Dale D

Dale D Member

Sep 15, 2020
    Maryland
    Bump...I have 2 commercial buildings that customers are interested in doing.

5. balstestrat

balstestrat Active Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Between the bits
    Solar Gard has all kinds of films available. Just cut to the size with a flatbed cutter and you are golden.

6. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    I have a friend that tints and I send work his way. He is strictly a 3m shop as he does State Trooper vehicles by contract has to be 3m. I don't see why if you wanted to you couldn't you tube, practice on your own windows and go for it. Most all films are plotter cut from subscription vehicle templates so it's really just extending your skill set from signs to tinting. If you can apply edge to edge window graphics you should be able to tint.

7. Dale D

Dale D Member

Sep 15, 2020
    Maryland
    Ive done a ton of "etched glass" vinyl some of which we die cut custom designs in, but Fellers, Grimco, or none of my other suppliers have darkening, or blockout. Most of the commercial windows are approx 48 inches wide so I need at least that in width.