• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Resolution Settings Explanation

KeithMan

We are a commercial printer who just bought a new S40600. I notice in the RIP the resolution setting is formatted as follows: 720@720x1440 10 pass. I understand the 720x1440 being the resolution, but what is the first number before the @ symbol? Are the passes the number of overlap to smooth out banding?

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
We are a commercial printer who just bought a new S40600. I notice in the RIP the resolution setting is formatted as follows: 720@720x1440 10 pass. I understand the 720x1440 being the resolution, but what is the first number before the @ symbol? Are the passes the number of overlap to smooth out banding?
"720@720x1440 10 pass" just seems to be a mistake or poor use of some sort of convention, hence your question. Yes, more passes - less banding.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I don't think we've printed anything out of our S60600 with more than 6 pass, and we run a lot on 4 pass.
Calibrate your media feeds and get some good profiles and you can speed that baby up.

CanuckSigns

I don't think we've printed anything out of our S60600 with more than 6 pass, and we run a lot on 4 pass.
Calibrate your media feeds and get some good profiles and you can speed that baby up.

Same with out s80600, banners print perfectly on 4 pass, most day to day stuff is printed on 6 pass, 8 pass is reserved for vehicle graphics and prints with lots of solid dark backgrounds that can't have any banding whatsoever.

KeithMan

Ours had damage to the print head out of the box. Epson is replacing under warranty. Even with the flaws it looks great.

So what does the first number before the @ mean?

Signed Out

We have a s80. For some solid colors like greens and blues in vehicle wraps, we are printing 8 pass, because there is some banding in those areas on 6 pass. I don't run the printers daily, but would like to get them able to run wraps at 6 pass.

Where are you calibrating your media feeds? As far as I know, we are just loading the media and the printer jogs it around a bit to calibrate, automatically? Is there another way of calibrating the feed? Also we are using stock profiles from 3m and oracal. Mainly using the 3m 7 color outdoor for wraps. Are you using stock profiles or making your own?

jfiscus

Rap Master
The media feed is the made through the material selection you make when you load the material (on the actual printer).
It determines the head height, roll direction, and the "feed speed/length/advance".

Even after you get it happy it seems like you have to re-calibrate it every few months once you notice banding or it looks blurry.
Thankfully the auto-calibration works wonderful and you're going again in 5 minutes.
We only use a couple different "medias" set up in our printers and everything looks great.

We made our own profiles and everything is so much better. It isn't all that hard to do with our rip (Onyx) if you have a reader.

mdjamesd

Changes in temperature and humidity like to give me some banding. I'll just run an auto media adjust, then all good until the weather throws me another curve ball.