• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

response to customer for not printing trademarked property

FASTSIGNS

Just looking for a standard response to a customer that wants us to reproduce a copyrighted picture logo sports team etc.

"We are not authorized to reproduce this copyrighted graphic". Sometimes we fumble over the words trying to explain to the customer. Is there a better stronger more legal sounding way of saying it? I think it sounds fine but most times the customer does not understand.

Billct2

How about "Federal law and corporate policy prohibits us from reproducing any trademarked or copyrighted images, designs or photos without written permission from the organization or person that it belongs to" That way it's not personal, it's not even your decision.

Reveal1

I like that or simply, 'it's illegal for us to reproduce or modify copyrighted property without written permission.'

WildWestDesigns

I usually just say do you have the copyright release with you?

^^This.

What will really get a person is those that work for the company whose logo they want reproduced.

That's when they really can't understand (or they atleast BS in saying that they don't understand) why I can't reproduce the logo for them.

2B

here is what FedEx Office state

FedEx Office Terms and Conditions prohibit the printing of any materials that are the subject of, or which infringe upon, any patent, trademark, trade name, trade secret, copyright, right of publicity, moral right or other intellectual property right of another person or entity.

bigben

here is what FedEx Office state

FedEx Office Terms and Conditions prohibit the printing of any materials that are the subject of, or which infringe upon, any patent, trademark, trade name, trade secret, copyright, right of publicity, moral right or other intellectual property right of another person or entity.

I use exactly this sentence. In my area, I have a shop that make sports team LED signs. It's 90% of his business and I know for sure he does not have the rights for them. I always wonder how hard it will hit him if someone catch him.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Just give them the number to your competition and tell him to tell the other shop owner you're doing the job at cost less 20%.

tamif

T-N-T Designs
^^This.

What will really get a person is those that work for the company whose logo they want reproduced.

That's when they really can't understand (or they atleast BS in saying that they don't understand) why I can't reproduce the logo for them.

My problem is the customer that says we can change it slightly (or color) and then it's not breaking copy right.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My problem is the customer that says we can change it slightly (or color) and then it's not breaking copy right.

But it IS stepping on their toes. If something this trivial went to court and all you did was change a color or change it slightly, it won't fly in court. It cannot have any semblance to the original piece being discussed..... NONE.

WildWestDesigns

Customer can say a lot of things, they aren't the professional.

Anything that can be confused for a protected logo, I personally wouldn't touch. Even if in the end it looks like a poorly produced copy to where they couldn't get the logo right with those small changes.

Shoot, I don't even touch projects from people that work for the company (or a franchise shop etc) without having that little piece of paper. Now, that for some may be overkill, but typically these big companies have contracts already in place. I'm not going to get involved if some local yodel wants to save a little bit by going to someone else.

tamif

T-N-T Designs
I explain to them that small changes do not release it from copy right. For some reason people are just sure that it does. I offer doing a different design but it is usually something they have centering around that particular design. I don't do it for them, but they usually leave unhappy or mad.

shoresigns

"That design is trademarked (or copyrighted) by [famous company name]. We can print it, but you'll need to get permission from them. If it's for a small/personal project, they probably won't give you the time of day, and if it's a bigger project, they'll probably want you to pay a licensing fee."

"Legally the minimum amount you have to change is 100%"

TXFB.INS

FASTSIGNS

assuming by your name & aviator you are a franchise with Fastsigns.
so why not ask them? they have to have a stance and policy on this matter.