• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rest easy Dan Wheldon

qmr55

1978-2011

Took a terrible wreck on lap 12 of the race in Vegas, they just announced his death. The race has been canceled.

What a terrible day in the Motorsports world. Everyone tune into ESPN right now they're going to do a 5 lap salute to honor Dan Wheldon.

phototec

Attachments

• Dan-Wheldon.jpg
    Dan-Wheldon.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 120
  • dan-wheldon-crash-indycar-las-vegas-2011.jpg
    dan-wheldon-crash-indycar-las-vegas-2011.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 145

RobbyMac

It is truly unfortunate. Everyone out here has heads hanging low after returning from Vegas.

He had some things going, and seemed to be getting really involved in the series again. Was a very likeable guy by fellow drivers, mechanics, and fans alike.

Speedsterbeast

My thoughts are with his family, friends and competitors.
We all strap ourselves into our cars a little tighter when we climb in after losing a member from the racing family no matter what the level or discipline.

Rest easy Dan and God bless.

signswi

It's terrible for his family but I wouldn't really call it tragic. Dude drove a bomb at 200mph for a living, he knew the risks. Tragic only in the way that any human death is tragic.

Speedsterbeast

It's terrible for his family but I wouldn't really call it tragic. Dude drove a bomb at 200mph for a living, he knew the risks. Tragic only in the way that any human death is tragic.

trag·ic/ˈtrajik/

Adjective:
  • Causing or characterized by extreme distress or sorrow.
  • Suffering extreme distress or sorrow.
That's exactly what that is.

shocking, surprising, or unbeleivable it is not.
But tragic. Yes.

qmr55

Are ya kidding me? The guys doing exactly what you attempt to do everyday....put food on his table for his wife and two kids. Now tell me that his death is not tragic...

qmr55

Are ya kidding me? Have some respect. The guys doing exactly what you attempt to do everyday....put food on his table for his wife and two kids. Now tell me that his death is not tragic...

signswi

As I said, tragic only in the way that all human deaths are tragic. Nothing in particular that would cause extreme distress or sorrow above and beyond normal death sorrow.

RobbyMac

Well, IRL made their minds up, and we just got delivery of the 2012 test car for a Dan Wheldon Memorial wrap (Event this Sunday). It will not be as elaborate as the godaddy full wrap attached, but I will be sure to post photos come monday. 'Before' 2012 chassis photo also attached.

Attachments

• DW_Before.jpg
    DW_Before.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 121
  • DW_GoDaddy.jpg
    DW_GoDaddy.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 127

2972renfro

Are ya kidding me? Have some respect. The guys doing exactly what you attempt to do everyday....put food on his table for his wife and two kids. Now tell me that his death is not tragic...

Not really. He chose a dangerous sport. Tragic that anyone dies but the deaths in racing won't go away anytime soon. It is much less dangerous than 30+ years ago but deaths will continue

High speeds, volatile fuels. They push these cars to the ultimate limit/edge. If they don't the driver behind them will push it further and pass him