• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Restaurant Table Top Prints

Enola

I'm sure many of you have done this very type of thing before, and I'm hoping you can give me some "do's and
"don't's".

One of my favorite restaurants would like some personalized table tops prints. The table tops are a very smooth laminate surface. I'm sure I can do a print and lamination directly applied and it would stick very well, but I'm sure the edges may start to lift (or get picked at) in a short period of time. Next though was to apply a piece of acrylic over the print, but how to secure to the tabletop?

Has anyone done this type of thing, and what method of application would you suggest?

thanks <3

GB2

Old Member
We do tabletops all the time but the ones we do are usually meant to be more of a temporary promotional item rather than a long term decoration. We just use a permanent adhesive intermediate vinyl with a matte laminate and it holds up just fine for about a year. I've also use temporary adhesive vinyl with good success. The edges are the weak link but if you don't put the print right on the edge of the table then it's more durable. If you have to put it right to the edge or you trim it in place, then try to keep the knife at an angle back toward the center of the table so you don't end up with a straight edge cut or any overhang.

Enola

I apologize Gino. That would probably be the best way to go, but I didn't think to give you one important detail. The tables are permanently mounted to the floor. I don't think I can do that process on site.

billsines

Sounds like an upsell opportunity. Explain that you can offer a temporary solution as mentioned above, but recommend changing every few months. Talk them into showcasing a new product every few months and maybe you can generate ongoing business from them.

Terry01

Apply the prints and urethane the tabletops with a dozen coats, allowing a couple of minutes between coats to tack off.Will come up like glass and be durable.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You can do it on-site if you become creative and willing to sacrifice a little.

First question.... are these to be long-term ?? If so, you go in at the end of the night. Clean them off, apply the graphics and give maybe 3 or 4 coats. Come back the next night, clean carefully and give 3 or 4 more coats. Come back still one more night, clean them and clear a few more coats. These tables will withstand most anything for years.

If not long-term, then use one of the other methods mentioned and let them know it's a temporary fix.

Enola

You can do it on-site if you become creative and willing to sacrifice a little.

First question.... are these to be long-term ?? If so, you go in at the end of the night. Clean them off, apply the graphics and give maybe 3 or 4 coats. Come back the next night, clean carefully and give 3 or 4 more coats. Come back still one more night, clean them and clear a few more coats. These tables will withstand most anything for years.

If not long-term, then use one of the other methods mentioned and let them know it's a temporary fix.

Good advice.
These are for long term application. I bet your method would look great when finished, but a tremendous amount of work in a "regulated" area. Any odors in a restaurant environment, Im sure would be frowned upon by the owner.

How about a reverse print on clear acrylic, then vhb or silicone to the existing table?

AKwrapguy

I've done this several times and you could do several things. You could use primer 94 along the edges, use a piece of clear lam to seal it, or you could wrap over the edge. You could also make them disposable so it doesn't matter.

Johnny Best

Acrylic scratches really bad, they do make one that does not scratch but have never used it for that purpose. But with plates and silverware sliding and wear with washing/scrubbing, it would take a toll on it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We do lotsa work in food related companies from restaurants, market houses to grocery stores. While odor is a problem, not if you use an exhaust system to get rid of it while doing your job..... and not while there are no customers in the place. Come morning and the grills and ovens fire back up, most any lingering smells will be masked.

Your reverse prints and all the other gimmicks will work just about anywhere, but not on a tabletop where patrons will be sitting. From curious kids to reckless teenagers, most any temporary measure will need to be replaced continuously. That is not solving their problem, but creating a new one, plus costing them extra in the long-run. Explain their options, then let them decide.

Enola

Or 5 or10 mil polycarbonate overlaminate.

I'd like to give this a try (test out a few tables). Be curious how long they hold up.
Got samples coming of the polycarbonate overlaminate in the 10mil from my supplier. He also gave me a tip for those customers that like to "pick". He suggest an "edge seal' laminate. His theory was, the customers that felt the need to pick would pick that first, and not ruining the print. He thought the edge seal was an easy fix, compared to fixing the print.

Worth a shot.

Thanks for the polycarb overlaminate suggestion. I've never used the product before and look forward to playing with it.

I may propose this (overlaminate) and also price out the clear acrylic reverse print option for the customer.

Thanks all!!!

Enola

Just read post 11 & 12.
Didn't think of the scratch factor. Would lexan sheet scratch also?
ugggg.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Quickly and badly. Then, you'll have health issues as they won't be able to keep those areas sanitary.

Other than glass, nothing will work for more than a few weeks or months, before looking ratty.

papabud

Lone Wolf
is this a done deal, have you sold the job yet.
if not i would set up 3 options and present them to your customer.
option 1 would be the print lam install and urethane sealing.
option 2 i would to print with lexan piece on top.
option 3 a temporary changeable option with just print lam and install. figure every 3 months something different.
make sure you give them the full list of pros and cons and proper pricing so you dont break your back for nothing.
let them decide which of the lesser evils they could live with,

Enola

Just got a quote from local glass shop. They recommended a temper glass solution.
7' x 2.5' table top. Tempered glass (included the rounded edges) would run $78 each.

So what do you think? Throw in a reverse print and silicone down to existing table top?

PS.
They also boo'd the acrylic and lexan idea because of the 'scratch" factor, and offered references for 2 other restaurants that have these tempered glass tops.
I haven't checked with them yet, but I will.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, now use your vinyl with a laminate, apply it directly to the table and just lay the glass cover over the complete top of everything. That way, if they ever need to change something, you don't hafta mess with the glass. Make it at least 1/4" thick. Maybe 3/8" to be safe.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
"do's and "don't's".

Do use premium removable adhesive-back vinyl with Flexcon Frosty Safari laminate. (Supreme - Promotional Advertising - Counter Graphics). Measure each table accurately and individually.

Don't sell yourself short.

(' been involved with thousands, nationally.)