• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Restoring dimensional Letters

SKADSIGNS

I have to restore the letters in the attached pic. I think they are aluminum. Was going to hit them with 3M pad and paint with One Shot. Should I prime them first?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 13 baysign.jpg
    13 baysign.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 91

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There is no sense in anyone spinning their wheels until you know for sure what the letters are and what paint system was used on them. An 'I think' can get you all the wrong information and a lot of angry people at you from several directions.

Take a letter down, check it out and if you don't know, have a professional tell you.

Mosh

"I think"... I would take one down and clean it, even buff it, then wax it. I bet that would made them look as good as new..."I think"....

SKADSIGNS

Thanks Gino. I have asked and no one has any idea of what was originally on them. They are original to the building built in the 60's.

I will take one down and and take it to a buddy who is a sign painter.

Thanks!!!!

SignManiac

Don't bother using 1-shot. It won't last. Go with a good automotive paint finish and clear coat with either satin or gloss. That's if you want them to last for any length of time.

Billct2

I have been able to take letters like this down and buff them back to their "original" finish and then clear.
Or if that doesn't work I've sprayed the appropriate mettalic finish.

petrosgraphics

+1 for maniac, *i have had great success with mathews paints on this
type of application. reg. enamels with make a mess when the paint starts to*
caulk-up and run.

visual800

ruff them up, prime them with 2 part epoxy and then shoot with single stage automotive or latex, they will be fine. We did some for a library down here in the hood and we did it with latex semigloss. I personally despise this typestyle "RIBBON" but obviously it was popular back then

Do not waste time with one shot

ddarlak

Go Bills!
What is the budget? There is always the right way, an alternative way and a cheap way

Are they looking for a brand new look that will last 40 years or do they want a brand new look that will last 10 years?????

Qualify the job beforehand with a don't-hold-me-to-it-highball-guesstamation before even wasting my time with figuring out how to do it.

Quantify their expectations and you will have a direction...