• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Resume Critique

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
I'm currently unemployed and looking for a new job. I've reworked my resume recently and have cut out a lot of old employment experience and have condensed the resume. Would anyone be willing to offer a critique to let me know how it comes across? I'm looking for a position in management (General Manager or Production Manager) for a mid-large size company. If you'd be willing to give me feedback on the resume, PM me directly and I'll email it to you. Thanks for your help in advance.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I don't need to see it to critique it.

Keep it short and factual. Do not include an "objective", that should be obvious if you have done your research on the position you are applying for, and it will be included on the cover letter anyhow. Do not include references on the resume, but have a printed list and a .pdf ready and offer it.

Keep your past experience descriptions limited to who you worked for, position title, and when you worked for them. List any college degrees, the schools you attended, and your graduation date. You may list a GPA of above 4.8 and any graduation honors such as Summa Cum Laude or Magna Cum Laude. Do not mention High School unless you do not have a college degree.

List any major awards you received and any professional organizations you belong to. List military experience. If you speak more than one language, list it here.

On a seperate sheet, list your proven competencies in short, concise terms. Use bullet points. These would include documented skills that would pertain to the position you are applying for, including computer programs you are fluent in.

Keep your resume to one page if possible. Absolutely no illustrations, unusual formats, doo-dads, or typographic trickery. Choose one easy-to-read font and type it up so it looks like it came from a typewriter (do not use a mono-spaced font, Times Roman or Helvetica would be good choices). If you really feel the need, you may use bold type for your name and headers. Black ink on white paper, preferably 24 lb. bond.

Do not have any spelling or grammar mistakes. Have somebody else proof-read your material.

Have a web page (not facebook, pinterest, snapchat, etc.) online with your contact information and a portfolio of your work. Make sure to include the URL on your resume and in the content of your cover letter. Forward this information to anybody the requests an interview so they can review it before the interview.

Your resume package (cover letter, resume, skills, references) will be a live document, which will be customized for each job application. Probably the most important piece will be the cover letter. Humility is probably the best advice here, along with thorough research and a solid understanding of the requirements of the job you are applying for. Too much information sounds like you are bragging or showing off, but carefully chosen words based on your research will attract notice.

WildWestDesigns

Keep your past experience descriptions limited to who you worked for, position title, and when you worked for them. List any college degrees, the schools you attended, and your graduation date.

To add to this part right here, limit this to what you are applying specifically for and what education works specifically for that job. This may mean having different resumes to fit different applications, but if you list everything, you may come off as scattered, unfocused (I've seen this alot).

Same goes with awards/recognition etc. Limit it to what only applies to the job at hand.