• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Resurrecting dead SC-540.

Tom S

I picked up a cheap Roland SC-540 that is not working at all and I'd like to see if I can coax any life from it before I consider it scrap.
I do have the service manual that was posted in a thread by a member here and that was a great help to this point.

Current condition,
Service call 0002 (communications from servo board to main board)
Unit also powers itself on as soon as main power is applied.

I have poked prodded and probed and the system appears to have power & gnd's in all the right places on the main, head and servo boards, no blown fuses, no shorted or open fets and the /Servobrd reset line is being brought and held low by the main board.

I have tried it with and without all the sensor and accessory cables attached and the only one that makes a notable difference in its function is the panel board.

Without the panel board connected flipping the main power switch on the PSU turns on and the psu fan ramps up to a medium speed and main board LED is lit as is the carriage board LED.
servobrd reset get a poke of 3.3 then gets pulled to gnd (same happens with the servo board disconnected from main board)

With the panel board attached, the unit automatically powers on, psu fan ramps way up and goes to the 0002 error screen.
Using the panel power button to turn it off results in it turning itself back on within about a 2 second period. I've tried to get into service mode but it will not stay off long enough to do the sequence.
I've tried to flash the firmware and the pro2 app will not see the printer on the network but the intercon-net tool can find it just fine.
i'm willing to invest a little bit in time and components to see if I can make it work but buying a new main or servo board is out of the budget.

1, I'd still like to try and flash the firmware to eliminate the possibility of a software glitch, ideas how to get it recognized?
2, If its not a firmware issue, any pointers or ideas what area I should concentrate on to find the causing fault?

EDIT:
Additional Info, When powering it on the display shows "Cleaning..." first then flips to Service call. It never shows the Roland name or firmware version.

Thanks
Tom.

Last edited:

Tom S

Ok so i've worked with it a little more. managed to enable the serial console and did some poking around.
Its like the machine is booting up properly until its time for the cpld (IC1) to generate clocks for things like the ADC.

One thing that leads me to think it might be a corrupt flash or bad flash chip.
In the console when I do a Read test of FLASH memory i get " Read Error at 00030002 0001 -> 0100 "

The pro2 app wont upload the firmware because the machine already has 7.90 on it.
By chance, would anyone have the peck and bin file for this sc540?

Tom.

Tom S

Alrighty then, can anyone point me to anyone who might have any info or be able to assist in fixing this or should i start posting its parts for sale?

CarNate69

Even when this machine is working, it's not going to be worth much in terms of print quality. The modern machines do it so much better with so much less banding, that a lot of stuff off that machine won't be too sellable. It's also REALLY slow.

Tom S

well it was a fun attempt, I am not too concerned too much with speed and i've seen some prints done on this machine, they were quite nice.
But honestly, i'd be happy if I could just make it cut.

ProPDF

Try sending the boards out to macmedia and see whats going on. If you were just able to get it to cut it would be the cheapest 54in cutter you could find.

BrettKaiaua

I've just noticed that the sc540 we just bought second hand powers itself on as soon as main power is supplied too, and goes straight to cleaning. So likewise it's impossible to access the service menu. It also says the cover is open when it isn't. Looks like we got a lemon. Did you find a solution to the power problem?

Tom S

Thank you, I'll check it out and send them an offer on the boards. Even if i make it a cutter i'd be happy.
Cheers,
Tom

Here this person is parting out a SC540 I believe. Offer them $250 or something for all their boards and do a full swap. Send out your current boards to macmedia, diagnose and keep as spares. Your heads will run you about $3k.

You can also use boards from a SC545ex

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-Mai...831173?hash=item4b61c4bf45:g:fBAAAOSw6aVcowSb

Tom S

I was stuck in Cleaning mode at first as well, I found pulling the battery on the main board cleared that and now it at least boots up straight to the 0002 error without the cleaning nag.
Tom.

I've just noticed that the sc540 we just bought second hand powers itself on as soon as main power is supplied too, and goes straight to cleaning. So likewise it's impossible to access the service menu. It also says the cover is open when it isn't. Looks like we got a lemon. Did you find a solution to the power problem?

BrettKaiaua

I was stuck in Cleaning mode at first as well, I found pulling the battery on the main board cleared that and now it at least boots up straight to the 0002 error without the cleaning nag.
Tom.

that's interesting, do you have any cartridges in your printer? If not that might be a way to get around it. thanks.

Tom S

Well final result for this printer, Scrapped! I'll see if I can post any parts in the for sale sections.
Main and servo board not communicating, looks like one of the cpld's has given up the ghost and the heads are hopelessly clogged. Total cost to fix would be in the 5k range.
Thanks for all the replys, wish I had better news on this one.
I really am a sucker for punishment, lol I am working on a different unit now so I'll post in the proper section for that one.
Thanks again, Cheers!

BrettKaiaua

Sorry to hear that. We haven't gotten to the bottom of our SC540 yet, the seller who promised us empty cartridges never came through. And previous chips for cartridges I've bought from China haven't worked. Do you have a set of empty cartridges from your one you can box and post to NZ? I would pay of course.

Tom S

I'm sorry I dont have any empties, I had some partials and I gave them to a guy who has an older roland.

Tom.

Sorry to hear that. We haven't gotten to the bottom of our SC540 yet, the seller who promised us empty cartridges never came through. And previous chips for cartridges I've bought from China haven't worked. Do you have a set of empty cartridges from your one you can box and post to NZ? I would pay of course.