• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Resurrecting old Rolands.

player

What makes you think I think I know everything?

I know how to set up RIPs, configure print queues, set up computers and install and upgrade VersaWorks. I know how to clean and soak the heads.

What I don't know is where to start with resurrection.

Getting a cleaning cart and running through that is useful info. Knowing when to install the ink carts and how to bleed the lines, I don't know. I could fumble along, trying and failing, or I could ask people who have done it before.

Just so there's no confusion: I'm a 40-year veteran tech in the print industry. But, I've never worked on these specific machines before, except for the 'front end' of making the workflow work better.

Assume I don't need to be told HOW to do stuff, just what order to do it in and what steps not to shortcut or overlook.

From a hands-on perspective, I've never even changed a cutting blade on one of these. I have never loaded media. I have never run a cleaning cycle.

But that doesn't mean I don't know the way they print, mechanically.

I'm unsure why you have taken offence, it's not clear what, specifically, upset you in my post.
When you said you didn't know where to start I thought you had no experience. I spent a lot of time spelling out the basics,
and almost everything I typed you said you already knew. It would have been nice to know what your experience was from the onset
and I could have spent a lot less time. No worries though. I will still pitch in if you need the help. Again you will want to check the heads before you go too far. The CJ will have issues with media profiles. You will have trouble getting proper colours and hues without profiles. Unless you know how to make your own and have the correct equipment. The SP-300 will have profiles available.

NZMaker

When you said you didn't know where to start I thought you had no experience. I spent a lot of time spelling out the basics,
and almost everything I typed you said you already knew. It would have been nice to know what your experience was from the onset
and I could have spent a lot less time. No worries though. I will still pitch in if you need the help. Again you will want to check the heads before you go too far. The CJ will have issues with media profiles. You will have trouble getting proper colours and hues without profiles. Unless you know how to make your own and have the correct equipment. The SP-300 will have profiles available.

I've got a colour spectrometer that generates ICC-profile-matching prints, so not concerned on that front, plus the machines that came with the printers have profiles for ink, media, etc. already on them.

Having difficulty finding cleaning carts locally. Is there another name? Flushing cart, or similar? And I would expect them to be refillable, right?

player

I've got a colour spectrometer that generates ICC-profile-matching prints, so not concerned on that front, plus the machines that came with the printers have profiles for ink, media, etc. already on them.

Having difficulty finding cleaning carts locally. Is there another name? Flushing cart, or similar? And I would expect them to be refillable, right?
Not really refillable. Check out Digiprint. https://www.digiprint-supplies.com/...ing-220ml-cartridge-exclusive-iinro17651.html

player

You will have a choice of Roland or generic cleaner. I go for the Roland.

The ink and cleaner used is important. Some are more aggressive and eat the rubber seals and pumps.

NZMaker

You will have a choice of Roland or generic cleaner. I go for the Roland.

The ink and cleaner used is important. Some are more aggressive and eat the rubber seals and pumps.

Regardless of where it's from, right now, under lockdown, I can't get any supplies. I have a half-litre of cleaning/flushing fluid that the previous owner gave me that he's used since the CJ got a solvent ink upgrade, so I'll go with that.

Just did a major reorganisation of the workshop, so the printers are better placed to maintain.

I guess the next two weeks will just fly by :)