• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Retailers Ready To Force Consumers To Pay ‘Swipe Fee’ For Using Plastic

wildside

we absorb the fees also as cost of business

we have once particular vendor that right on the invoice says "lost cash discount", but is a positive number adding to the total and is about 4% of the total usually...

it irritates me every time i see it, but what can a person do other than stop using them...well they only carry a few things that no one else carries....

mark in tx

I had a customer that was using a 5% cash back reward card. In 6 months that cost me $1300 dollars.
That customer now writes me checks only.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Ours does not have a TOS statement in it saying they will suspend/terminate us for charging more. As it stands, we are about to start charging an extra 10% to AMEX card holders .... we pay out almost 9.8% for every amex card taken ... redonkulous ... so it's either charge more, or don't take it.

American Express ... raping small businesses daily.

It's either that OR we have to start hurting all the customers by building the price structure 10% higher and giving cash discounts.

haulin

For CC's I use Square and on all the internet stuff I do I use PayPal. I just built in the average cost for the transactions into my costs and priced my product accordingly.

I have walked out and refused to business with places that play the cash discount and fee's game, why take the chance making a customer mad over that game. And On another note since my other business is transportation, you can also avoid the same BS fuel stops. We spent well over 100k in fuel in 2011 and I bet 90+% was bought from retailers that don't do it. And we do watch the cost very closely on our fuel purchases.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
I run AMEX (and other CCs) through Paypal and my rate is now 2.9%....And my money is available for withdrawal immediately....

You must be using the PayPal card reader to get that rate for Amex.

--

I have always figured we should make it easy for our customers to buy from us. We spend all this time and money to bring the customer in, work on their products and keep those customers happy. After going through everything, you then hit your customers with limited payment options? Or charge them a surcharge for using the payment option they are used to using?

This is obviously a topic for debate, but if we love our customers, we'll smile and appreciate any form of payment they make.

I had a business once where someone mailed me a payment of about $10 they owed. There was about $8 cash and $2 worth of stamps. I marked the invoice as paid and put the stamps in my drawer.

TXFB.INS

Ours does not have a TOS statement in it saying they will suspend/terminate us for charging more. As it stands, we are about to start charging an extra 10% to AMEX card holders .... we pay out almost 9.8% for every amex card taken ... redonkulous ... so it's either charge more, or don't take it.

American Express ... raping small businesses daily.

It's either that OR we have to start hurting all the customers by building the price structure 10% higher and giving cash discounts.

you may want to double check if TX allows that, some states do no allow you to charge more for CC regardless if the CC processor allows you to

SD&F

I accept this as the cost of doing business and although I may hate the fees at the end of the month.....I am not chasing down people for bad checks or hasseling for waiting extra time for checks to come in. It is convenience that I offer my customer and quick turn around with money in the door. I like having money coming in everyday and moving jobs through without having to folow up on where my money is. I do look around for better rates and if anyone knows where I can get better than 2.75% let me know.