• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Retractable Banner Scratching? how to prevent

Johnmpcny

I have noticed on the retractable banners I am doing you can see scratches after they are put up and down a few times.

I have tried cheap stands and the highest priced ones. Tired ultraflex and 2 other smooth blockout banner materials all mark to some extent. The better stands seem to do so a bit less, but still show marks, Am now getting better ones from catapult, but still notice it.

Now a person wants 12 traveling historical displays. He wants to make sure he does not have this happen.

One option I am thinking is going with a thinner material and putting a lam on it. But worry it will still be to thick to retract correctly. Anyone have any tips or a solution?

Printing on mimaki jv33 series with ES3 inks [h=1][/h]

I've laminated the pop up banner material to prevent scratching and have had no issues with it working with any of the banner stands.

~Chris

gabagoo

I always found scuffing issues were caused more from low heat print temperatures.

Last edited:

jmcnicoll

I would never suggest using vinyl banner in a banner stand. Some type of synthetic paper or film with lam. Best way is hot lams on both sides if you have that capability, but a cold lam on front will work if done right.

jim

twmiller24

BigFish has a 9 mil satin rollup that prints quite well on our Epson GS6000s and S70670 and doesn't scratch (even without lam). Also, Arlon has a "pebble-white" stock that also works well, but it has a bluish cast.

danno

We use Pospro 200+ and a Canon iPF9000. Best results we have ever had. The Pospro also works on our solvent and latex machines with no issues.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Nonsense. Use 10oz banner material and give the prints a coat of Clear Shield.

Prints on banner media tend to suffer their share scratching. It comes with the territory. Laminating banners has never been entirely satisfactory, the banner material is far more flexible than the laminate. That being the case, every time a banner flexes, which is pretty much constantly, it's trying to find a way to come unlaminated.

Hence the Clear Shield. It's every bit as flexible as the banner media and provides sufficient abrasion resistance.

BobCap

I have printed on synthetic material and used clear coat on regular vinyl. Both seem to work fine for me.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We don't liquid lam, we don't rigid lam and we don't print on banner material.

We use a non-curling synthetic media just for this application and have never heard of or seen this problem. We have two for our own use and while they're about two years old, they've been used maybe a 50 or 60 times..... and still no scuff marks or scratches. They stay rolled up inside the bases when not it use. We use them for certain shows we might go to and as samples in the shop so people can see them firsthand.

gabagoo

Nonsense. Use 10oz banner material and give the prints a coat of Clear Shield.

Prints on banner media tend to suffer their share scratching. It comes with the territory. Laminating banners has never been entirely satisfactory, the banner material is far more flexible than the laminate. That being the case, every time a banner flexes, which is pretty much constantly, it's trying to find a way to come unlaminated.

Hence the Clear Shield. It's every bit as flexible as the banner media and provides sufficient abrasion resistance.

How do you apply the Clearshield Bob? I had tried it years ago using foam rollers to get the product on, then I used a foam roller that would not roll to lightly go over everything and smooth out the coating.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We use HP Everyday Matte Polypropelene and laminate with Seal Dusted Crystal 6mil Laminate.

We formally used Fellers POP-UP until the price jumped 18% on us.

Johnmpcny

We don't liquid lam, we don't rigid lam and we don't print on banner material.

We use a non-curling synthetic media just for this application and have never heard of or seen this problem. We have two for our own use and while they're about two years old, they've been used maybe a 50 or 60 times..... and still no scuff marks or scratches. They stay rolled up inside the bases when not it use. We use them for certain shows we might go to and as samples in the shop so people can see them firsthand.
Gino what product and where do you get it.

a77

Your Epson inks will scratch easily. I would suggest something with a pebble/textured surface, it helps a lot.

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
I am having a problem with scratching with this material. I am using an Epson Surecolor S60600. Did you ever run into a problem like this?

We've used a decolit product in the past, it printed very nicely and didn't have this issue. We do find some of the cheaper roll-up banners can scratch, especially if they're paired with a cheaper banner stand.

Pideas

We print on a Briteline rollup material without laminate using our HP latex. We've never had a scratching issue. I don't think the stand is the issue. You may want to look at using a different media.