• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Retractable stands and media

10sacer

Was wondering what everyone uses to print on for a standard retractable banner stand that doesn't curl (media). God... thats horrible sentence structure.

Paper, Banner vinyl, PopUp melinex/polyester, Fabrics, other?

Just curious if there's anything new out there I haven't run across...

signswi

Use the search function there's at least two recent threads on this topic. Feller's "Popup" is the majority choice for media.

MontereySigns

No-Curl Banner Material

We reliably use a product called Xign for pop-ups and retractable displays. It's not cheap, but prints really nice both sides, does not curl, and has an elegantt matte finish. it's worked on at least a dozen different types of retractable displays.

-Bud

10sacer

I always do a search first, but you have to be able to think like other people to know how the topic was listed...

I searched under "anti-curl" and then again for "retractor media"

What did you search under?

dlndesign

Ultraflex Super Smooth Block-out Banner Material. The best IMHO. No Curl when you retract the banners, cuts clean, image quality is excellent. Check Media 1 for the Grey backer, for some reason the batches of white lately have some issue with the supplier. Its a mess.

10sacer

Don't want to get into a long drawn out debate about who makes the best retractors. I have already responded to that question twice now.. I think.
Everyone knocks off everyone else anyway.

I got some emergency stock retractors at last year's SGIA that cost me a whopping $19 each and for a cheap ol' banner stand - they worked pretty good. Not what I would get for my higher end clients, but if someone called and said, "Can i get a retractor today?" - these came in handy.

Rooster

I use a product called polybrite roll-up. It's a house brand from ND graphics up here. I have no idea who manufacturers it for them but it's great. It has a nice film like feel to it, zero curl, a very slight pebble texture, 7 mil thickness, gray backing and doesn't require lamination like some other film products (POSpro).

It's more expensive than a non-curl blockout banner, but cheap enough I can make money with it and be competitive in price with anybody else.

gabagoo

I use pet 15oz and all I can say is that it is pretty good for banner stands in that it does not seem to curl, but the quality control of the material is very questionable. I dont think I have bought a roll yet that didnt have some strange stuff going on behind the print. Nothing to alarming but none the less it was there.
Tried Decolite this week and not so impressed with the print quality of a full coverage although it could have been a profiling issue. For an expensive material (about $28.00 for a piece to fit a 31.5" Orient) I was a little disapointed when I set the stand up afterwards and even with a complete navy blue print I actually saw the shadow of the pole from behind....not happy. Stillhunting for the perfect banner stand material.....does it exist? Have not found it yet after 4 years lol

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I've tried quite a few over the years. Never did like the pospro - prints just look dead on it to me. I really (and my customers as well) like the satin finish products for these. A couple of the best ones I've tried have been Sihl Durasol pop up, Fellers Pop Up, and Lexjets Display Film SR. Mostly just go with the Fellers stuff anymore since it's about the cheapest at .53 sf.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I've always used whatever 10oz banner material I happen to be using at the time. It doesn't curl any more that the stuff that's labeled 'non-curl', which curls a bit.

I see some responses where media heavier than 10oz was used. Why? The only difference between 10oz and 13oz or 15oz is that the latter specimens weigh more. It does not mean that they are any sturdier, just heavier.

Anything more than 10oz in a retractor is silly.

HulkSmash

The actual popup we get depends on how much the customer wants to spend. We have several types. As for the material - Fellers sells a really solid material called - pop-up. It is so perfect and quite inexpensive. Great stuff.

that's about the only thing i get from fellers.

signswi

I've always used whatever 10oz banner material I happen to be using at the time. It doesn't curl any more that the stuff that's labeled 'non-curl', which curls a bit.

I see some responses where media heavier than 10oz was used. Why? The only difference between 10oz and 13oz or 15oz is that the latter specimens weigh more. It does not mean that they are any sturdier, just heavier.

We get tons of curl over time with canvas in retractables, with Popup, none at all. It really is the superior choice. We've done a few thousand of them over the past couple of years. The old canvas retractables we have in the back (kept to watch the curl over time) are ~6 years old have quite a bit of curl.

SignMedic

Decolit has a Black Back option for their Stay Flat Material.
Decolit-251-10oz-Exhibit STAY FLAT(FR) BLACK BACK-35"x82' , its available at All Graphic Supplies. I have used it, and had some really good results. I have a customer that used to buy the laminated banner product, and always had issues with curl. After I introduced this product(decolit), she told me it was the best banner stand she has ever had. I should also say that she was so impressed... that she referred a new customer to me, that ended up buying 16 units.

HaroldDesign

I use it because customers like that it feels sturdier. It must be the block-out layer or thread count that makes the weight difference, because the 15oz & 13oz both measure 0.013". It may be silly, but because I first used 15oz and had success, I haven't bothered to use the lesser weights to save virtually nothing on unit material costs.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I use it because customers like that it feels sturdier.

Sturdier than what?

It must be the block-out layer or thread count that makes the weight difference, because the 15oz & 13oz both measure 0.013". It may be silly, but because I first used 15oz and had success, I haven't bothered to use the lesser weights to save virtually nothing on unit material costs.

It has nothing to do with saving on material costs. 10oz is a damn sight easier to wrangle, it hems flatter, and it rolls up tighter. It is every bit as durable as heavier weights. Unless you're going to gift wrap a rhinoceros.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Look for opaljet. Stuff is amazing for banner stands especially with a nice pebble text lam. I know they make a solvent version ... stuff comes from UK ... aqueous looks better than the solvent material though. Something to look for at ISA.

HaroldDesign

Sturdier than what?

It has nothing to do with saving on material costs. 10oz is a damn sight easier to wrangle, it hems flatter, and it rolls up tighter. It is every bit as durable as heavier weights. Unless you're going to gift wrap a rhinoceros.
Feels sturdier than lesser weights. It doesn't magically weigh more. They roll up fine. I don't hem banner stand prints. You asked why someone would use a heavier weight. I stated why, and it turns out it is manufactured for no reason.

Just jabbin', Bob. :wink: