• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Retroreflective vinyl recommendations

Lucky Sky

I need a recommendation for what brand of retroreflective vinyl is the best to use. I've tried Avery, that's not going to hold up. I've done two different test samples and within weeks they have started to lift. It doesn't seem to have enough adhesive to stay in place for any length of time.

Any other brands that you have worked with or would recommend?

I need a wide variety of colors and can currently only handle rolls less than 20" wide.

Mosh

Retro-reflective? LOL! We use oralite 5700 REFLECTIVE vinyl. 3M has some good ones too. All depends on what they are going on..flat sign, curvey vehicle...

Is that like a retro t-shirt????

Haakon

I'm using Oralite 5600E engineering grade exclusively, very happy with its performance. Been using this from the past 3 years, easy to cut/weed (for a reflective), no shrinking/lifting, and fairly easy to remove with proper heat. Comes in 14 different colours. Your vendor should be able to cut it down to whatever width you want, it originally comes in 24" and 48" rolls.

Mosh, I got sent a roll of 5700 instead of 5600E once when they were out of stock on 5600E. I think it might have been defective/bad batch because it weeded terribly, ripped into tiny pieces like nothing. Is this normal?

2B

I'm using Oralite 5600E engineering grade exclusively, very happy with its performance. Been using this from the past 3 years, easy to cut/weed (for a reflective), no shrinking/lifting, and fairly easy to remove with proper heat. Comes in 14 different colours. Your vendor should be able to cut it down to whatever width you want, it originally comes in 24" and 48" rolls.

Mosh, I got sent a roll of 5700 instead of 5600E once when they were out of stock on 5600E. I think it might have been defective/bad batch because it weeded terribly, ripped into tiny pieces like nothing. Is this normal?

Yes that is normal, very tough to weed. to the point most vendors have a dedicated return policy allowing 5700 to be sent back

gabagoo

I use 3m 680 and weeds great if you get the pressure right, in fact I use an old beat up blade fully extended..... stuff sticks very well

signage

IF someone is specifying Retroreflective, I think you need to see what ASTM number they are referring to! Most of the specification I have come across specifying Retroreflective have ended up being the HIP style!

jfiscus

Rap Master
retroreflective = reflective = engineer grade (regular reflective)
it can be prismatic, or non-prismatic; however prismatic cannot be solvent printed or plotter cut

high intensity prismatic, diamond grade, conspicuity tape, etc reflect more light, but are very hard to cut and do not like to apply to contoured surfaces

I like 3M's reflective materials personally.

Mosh

I never have problems weeding 5700, the 5600 is brittle and cracks too easily, works good on flat signs but not vehicles, IMO Wait I think I might have them flipped, the 5700 is the brittle stuff and 5600 is for vehicles...

signage

retroreflective = reflective = engineer grade (regular reflective)
it can be prismatic, or non-prismatic; however prismatic cannot be solvent printed or plotter cut

high intensity prismatic, diamond grade, conspicuity tape, etc reflect more light, but are very hard to cut and do not like to apply to contoured surfaces

I like 3M's reflective materials personally.
This is not true!
This is straight from the ASTM website:
Retroreflective sheeting shall he classified as follows:​
--A medium-intensity retroreflective sheeting referred to as 'engineering grade" and
typically enclosed lens glass-bead sheeting. Typical applications for this material are
permanent highway signing, construction zone devices, and delineators.

-- A medium-high-intensity retroreflective sheeting sometimes referred to as "super
engineer grade" and typically enclosed lens glass-bead sheeting. Typical applications
for this material are permanent highway signing, construction zone devices, and
delineators.

-- A high-intensity retroreflective sheeting, that is typically encapsulated glass-bead
retroreflective material. Typical applications for this material are permanent highway
signing, construction zone devices, and delineators,

-- A high-intensity retroreflective sheeting. This sheeting is typically an unmetallized
microprismatic retroreflective element material. Typical applications for this material
are permanent highway signing, construction zone devices, and delineators.

-- A super-high-intensity retroreflective sheeting. This sheeting is typically a metallized
microprismatic retroreflective element material. This sheeting is typically used for
delineators.

-- An elastomerie high-intensity retroreflective sheeting without adhesive. This sheeting
is typically a vinyl microprismatic retroreflective material. This sheeting is typically
used for orange temporary roll-up warning signs, traffic cone collars, and post bands.

-- A super-high-intensity retroreflective sheeting having highest retroreflectivity characteristics
at long and medium road distances. This sheeting is typically an unmetallized
microprismatic retroreflective element material. Typical applications for this material

-- Asuper-high-intensity retroreflective sheeting having highest retroreflectivity characteristics
at long and medium road distances. This sheeting is typically an unmetallized
are permanent highway signing, construction zone devices. and delineators.

-- A very-high-intensity retroreflective sheeting having highest retroreflectivity characteristics
at short road distances. This sheeting is typically an unmetallized

mistcooling

I have very good luck with "Reflective Sheeting" it has a strong adhesive
If you need more info like samples or application photos, let me know, I will be happy to post here or can send to you..

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I would refer to SIGNAGE's posts...
but, what type of sign is this going to be?

Some signs requiring retroreflective vinyl have to meet or exceed ATSM standards.