• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Reverse channel letter removal.

Good morning all!

I have a question about removing stud mounted channel letters. Letters are not very big, maybe 8" to 10" tall, neon lit and stud mounted to wood surface. I have installed and remove flush mounted letters before but this stud mount job is my first. What would be the best way to tackle this job? I did a search on this site and a saw and pry bar seem to be the most common tools everyone is suggesting. But before I go ahead with that method I wanted to post pictures of what I'm working with to see if that is the best way to go.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

20161013_132102.jpg 20161013_132059.jpg

bigben

If the customer want to keep the letter, we normally just cut the studs and change them.

MikePro

those are illuminated reverse-channel letters
(as you can see by the larger stud on each letter, which runs the power)

don't just start yanking/prying on them, the studs most likely have nuts/washers on the inside of the wall and you're likely to take the wall down in chunks if you try.
"lock out tag out", remove power supply, remove nuts from studs, and then letters should pull-out easily.

edited: o, you mentioned neon-lit... that's good, at least you know :)
Even much more emphasis on "lock out tag out", as we lost an installer to electrocution 25 years ago... when an employee of the client came into work that day and flipped-on a buncha light switches while he was servicing their neon sign.

Marlene

if you are taking down and tossing these out, also make sure to check with the states mercury laws as I bet there is white neon in those cans. if you have to pay for the disposal make sure you knwo how much that will be so you can pass the cost along

those are illuminated reverse-channel letters
(as you can see by the larger stud on each letter, which runs the power)

don't just start yanking/prying on them, the studs most likely have nuts/washers on the inside of the wall and you're likely to take the wall down in chunks if you try.
"lock out tag out", remove power supply, remove nuts from studs, and then letters should pull-out easily.

edited: o, you mentioned neon-lit... that's good, at least you know :)
Even much more emphasis on "lock out tag out", as we lost an installer to electrocution 25 years ago... when an employee of the client came into work that day and flipped-on a buncha light switches while he was servicing their neon sign.

Thank you. My electrician will definitely have the power off before we start anything. Sorry to hear about your worker, that's terrible. Great advice, I appreciate it a lot!

if you are taking down and tossing these out, also make sure to check with the states mercury laws as I bet there is white neon in those cans. if you have to pay for the disposal make sure you knwo how much that will be so you can pass the cost along

I wouldn't dispose of them in any case. People love to buy old channel letters or dimensional letters to decorate their homes and garages.

Billct2

OK, it's been a while since I serviced anything like this, but as I recall, when properly installed, these type of letters would have a method of removal for servicing.
So I would look very closely at the mounting to see if there is a way to unfastened and then remove.
As has been said be sure the electric service is handled properly and seal all the penetrations.

ams

Depends on how it's mounted, some you can just yank out of the wall, others you have to put a vice grip on it and twist out, some you can take a sawsall to and go crazy. If they were done properly they may be a nut on the interior of the wall, check that first.

signbrad

The studs are most likely nutted inside the fascia wall. There may be plastic nuts on the pass-throughs as well. The GTO whips that loop the letters together can be cut unless you want to save the GTO.
Of course, this is after killing power to the circuit. I would disconnect the primaries from the transformer, too, just in case.

If you are wanting to save the GTO wires looping from letter to letter, you should be able to remove the channel letters from their backplates from outside so you can disconnect the GTO wires from the neon tubing. Typically the backplates are clear plastic with the channels secured to them with screws through the returns.

Brad in Kansas City