• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reverse Spot Replacement Onyx Thrive?

Brian27

I have an application where I need to print the background of an image 3x but the logo itself only once. I'm able isolate the black background to print only the logo but I need the exact opposite. I need to print only the black and leave the rest empty. Is there a way to invert the selection using the spot mask or spot replacement tool? This will be a recurring application so tracing the outline of the logo isn't a viable option.

Attachments

• captain2.jpg
    captain2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 146
  • captain.jpg
    captain.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 98

Correct Color

I'm curious what's the point of what you're trying to do?

Is what you're after just a dark, rich black background?

What kind of printer, and what kind of media?

Brian27

I'm curious what's the point of what you're trying to do?

Is what you're after just a dark, rich black background?

What kind of printer, and what kind of media?

It's a backlit type application. The black background has to be 100% opaque to block out the light and logo needs to look normal.

It's an Oce 365 GT. Clear acrylic.

I can do it in photoshop if necessary, I was just hoping for a more automated solution since Onyx is able to differentiate between the background and every other color. Just doesnt seem to be able to print only black vs. everything but black.

Correct Color

Well...

If you print the image as a single hit frontlit-profiled image, and then triple hit the black, I don't think you're going to be all that happy with the final result. The image of the Captain is going to wind up looking pretty washed out when backlit, and surrounded by an actual opaque black background, that's liable to look pretty bad. Plus if I'm following you, and what you're trying to do is hit three times with the black channel only... I guess you could, but that's not how it's typically done.

Opacity and rich black in large format are made with under colors, not by adding more black.

Best thing to do of course is to run that with an actual backlit profile, but other than that, what I'd do if I was you was to run the file as RGB -- sRGB would be easiest and no doubt fine -- make sure the black is R0, G0, B0 in your file, then you can look in Job Editor and see what the actual values are you're printing in the black area. Whatever they are, they'll be the ink limit as set in whatever profile you're using.

Then double-strike the entire thing.

(Edited to add: Of course if you have white ink in that Oce, the very best way to do that would be color-white-color. No changes needed at all. You can create the white flood right in Onyx.)

Correct Color

Yeah, it's in Job Editor. The Color Correction tab, then Tools >> Spot Layer Tool.

Once there check the little Enable Spot Layer Generation box, and you can actually do quite a few things with whatever your spots are, right there.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Or you could create an outline of the image, have that reverse out of black opaque vinyl and overlay on your printed translucent piece.

Brian27

Thanks for the recommendations. Unfortunately this isn't your typical backlit application and the usual double strike isn't nearly dark enough. We actually may have to print the black 4 times to achieve complete blackout that we need. When we run the color that many times the logo becomes so dark you almost can tell it's backlit. We do have white but pure black is much better for blocking light than the white is. And there isn't a really good process for printing Color/White/Color. You can do it with Quality Layered, but it's still not enough to block the light and if you overprint that mode you're now looking at 6 layers of ink.

We'll have to just manually do it in photoshop like the attached pictures. I was just hoping Onyx would let me inverse the Spot replacement tool. Oh well no biggie!

Attachments

• capt1.jpg
    capt1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 133
  • capt2.jpg
    capt2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 110

Correct Color

Thanks for the recommendations. Unfortunately this isn't your typical backlit application and the usual double strike isn't nearly dark enough. We actually may have to print the black 4 times to achieve complete blackout that we need. When we run the color that many times the logo becomes so dark you almost can tell it's backlit. We do have white but pure black is much better for blocking light than the white is. And there isn't a really good process for printing Color/White/Color. You can do it with Quality Layered, but it's still not enough to block the light and if you overprint that mode you're now looking at 6 layers of ink.

Then your issue is a profile issue.

I've profiled for backlit applications many, many times, on many, many machines and in many, many conditions, and when profiling for backlit, one of the first considered issues is always an opaque black. It is possible to get there in a double-strike on an Oce -- I've done it. It's also possible to get there color/white/color. I've done that as well.

But, as with anything else in this business, profiles are everything. Your printer will inly go as far as its profiles will let it.