• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Revived book end signs

SignManiac

About fifteen years ago I made a pair of mirror image sandblasted redwood subdivision entrance signs. I received a called from the association saying they were wanting new signs. I went out and looked at them and the backs which were originally enclosed in plywood had started to rot out and the faces were nasty as he!!. Turns out the faces were just filthy and had never once been cleaned in all those fifteen years. Both faced north so mold, mildew and dirt were the real culprit.

I told them I could restore their signs back to new condition and this time around with the materials available today I could make them better. The original lettering was done in hand spun gold leaf. This time I decided to give them a little more dimension by making prismatic PVC letters mounted on top of red acrylic for the base and outline of the name. I used 3/4" PVC to build out the back and closed them in with polymetal. Everything was freshly paintedThis sign should easily last another fifteen years or more "if" they at least wash it once in "the blue moon" :)

Should be installing early next week!

Attachments

• tara.jpg
    tara.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Tara book end.jpg
    Tara book end.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Tara2.jpg
    Tara2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 88

Jillbeans

You improved upon what already looked really nice.
The dimensional letters really add pop.
Would have liked to see the part around the owl done in smalts, a deep cobalt blue.
Sweet!
Love....Jill

SignManiac

I had never even considered using smaltz but that would have been a nice touch Jill. These days I'm just trying to keep cranking work through the doors but not to the point that I'm only turning out crap. It's a balancing act between making money and making art. Pretty tuff these days.