Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB / CMYK numbers to vinyl?

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by mudmedia, Oct 8, 2012.

1. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Evening s101 members

I am curious to if there is a way I have a customer who is a out of town customer wanting some cut lettering stuff done. He gave me RGB / CMYK color codes for their logos and I am trying to match it to a Oracal 751 or 951 vinyl. Any suggestions on doing this?

Unfortunately my monitor is not calibrated so I am unsure if what I see on the monitor is the true color. I could send him a Oracal book with vinyl samples if I cannot get a good match was just trying to save a couple days.

Tags:
  2. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
  3. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    you may be able to obtain PMS #'s from CMYK values. it won't be exact, but it will be close. then, you can obtain a vinyl color from those PMS #'s.... which also won't be exact, but close.
    in the end, he's better-off either picking something close from a color chart or having the color printed/painted.

4. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    how do we know HIS monitor isnt all out of calibration as well? at least have him give you a sherwin williams number or something concrete

5. Color Conversion

Matching vinyl colors to RGB, CMYK or Pantone colors is a very common issue. Attached is a chart with approximate RGB, CMYK and HexID's for all of our graphic film colors. Please remember these are not exact matches, but they should be close. We always recommend requesting a sample of the color(s) in question.

I hope this helps.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    AWESOME!
    this one's a keeper

7. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Another reason why I love oracal.

Thank you for your input s101 members

8. sfr table hockey

sfr table hockey Very Active Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Alberta
    X2

This will help a lot.

Thanks

9. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
    +1

you are DEFINITELY being placed the LURKER category, :covereyes: joining in 2010 and it takes this long for a reply

Don't be a stranger especially if you are bringing such useful information

10. signgirl

signgirl Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Illinois
    Very useful.....thank you!

11. You are very welcome for the chart. We will make an effort to be less of a "LURKER". LOL

12. competition graphics

competition graphics New Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Thanks for the chart.

13. Thanks Pat. That means a lot to us. We couldn't do it without all of you.