• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rich black and Versaworks

GVP

Greetings!

A question - if I set a color in a file to rich black (e.g. C30 M20 Y20 K100), do I need to set anything in Versaworks to actually produce this? Do I need to set it as a spot color to ensure the CMYK breakdown is maintained? I know the RIP will change colors based on profiles, etc, - just not sure how this works.

Advice appreciated.

sowinski_t

That's all I've ever done in the past when I used to use Versaworks... It will depend on your profile to some degree, but I didn't mess around with the spot colour settings for blacks.
I did however use a slightly richer formula, 65/40/40/100 I think. But every printer you talk to swears by his own rich black, so take that advice with a grain of salt I guess. :)

Patentagosse

Why don't you just simply use the rich black from Roland's color palette?
RVW-BK22A
The only thing you have to make sure is the settings in File Format tab... Spot Color must be checked so that way Versaworks will use the colors assigned "as it" w/o considering the profile tweaking ('hope I'm clear the way I translated it...)

Attachments

• settings.jpg
    settings.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 363
J

john1

It's going to depend on what looks best to you.

I found upping the heater and slowing down the printing speed gives better results.

I have tried 100% in all values and actually get a nicer black by using 80/80/80/100 and or using the Versaworks spot color B21A.

Print out a color charge from Versaworks and see how the blacks show up for ya.

GVP

Thanks for all your replies - d'oh I never thought about the Roland color palette. I wasn't so much looking for a black 'formula' (everyone has the favorite, it would seem) but how it's handled in Versaworks. The Roland palette answers the question!

synergy_jim

You do al realize that versaworks has a wider color gamut when you input RGB files instead of CMYK right? The whole purpose of a rip is to translate RGB to CMYK. When you input a CMYK file, it actually converts to RGB so it can translate back to CMYK thus killing your color gamut....

That said, I have had great luck using RGB colorspace and using versaworks spot color substitution for rich blacks. Or just go the RGB 0,0,0 route.