• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Right to Repair Act

dreko

"The Repair Act requires original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) of digital electronic equipment “to make diagnostic and repair information available to independent repair providers and consumers if such parts and repair information are also available to OEM authorized repair providers.” Manufacturers must offer access to owners of the covered products as well as independent repair providers.

Access to documents and many tools must be provided on “fair and reasonable terms.” For documents, this means at no charge. For parts and certain tools, it means offering them at the same cost as they are offered to manufacturer-authorized and affiliated businesses. "

Has anyone ever contacted their printer manufacturer and asked for all software diagnostic tools, repair field manuals, documentation, etc?
Here in NY State, every owner of electronic equipment, that is over 10 dollars has the right to repair the equipment.

I'm thinking of contacting Roland regarding my printer. Do you think they will comply?
Has anyone taken advantage of this Act (in 13 states)

thanks

Smoke_Jaguar

Man who touches printers inappropriately.
Yup, I keep CA residents I can bug to get stuff like that. Usually they don't want to fuss and give access.

FrankW

Regularly, with newer Roland TruVis, accessing the service menu requires a Service Tool and a personal microsoft mail account to log in, and there are no downloadable documentation anymore which shows repair procedures, this is an online tool. For repairs of Epson too you need a Service Tool, which will be activated with an company identification file.

Would like to know how they manage that in this cases. And, as a technician, I really don´t want to come over to a customer who have tried to repair his machine himself and still stuck.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Sounds like a back door to proprietary information, and may encourage reverse engineering.

JB

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
That's really interesting. I can see where the law would make sense, but it also could be like finding someone who has never driven a car before and handing them keys to a Ferrari.

WildWestDesigns

I have always maintained that it is the customers right to be able to bork their own stuff. Just have to be able to learn from one's mistakes. Doing things yourself comes with consequences, however, that doesn't mean that I want the company that I bought from to be my babysitter and to determine what I do or do not have access to when it comes to machinery that I depend on. I remember back in the day when there was schematics and part numbers that came with the goods that we bought and a lot of those companies are still around today, so it's not like it has affected their bottom line over the long haul.

The thing that most companies (in my experience) have used to mitigate this impact is to put it behind some type of cloud need and/or proprietary concern and if that fails "think of the children and their safety". Now some of these could have legitimacy, unfortunately, they have been used way to much and in a blanket way that I just roll my eyes from the start. There are instances that it's more legitimate compared to others. Use anything too much, it just causes a bad taste with a lot of people.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I've helped 1000s of sign shops fix their own machines. The OEMs would have you believe that the average end user doesn't have the ability to fix their own machine and they're saving you from yourself by hiding that info. I've definitely run into customers who should hire a tech but a large majority of people are capable of fixing their machine with a little guidance and/or tech manuals. The main negative of fixing your own machine, however, is the work and parts aren't under warranty.

If you hassle them enough, they'll give you the manual. If you just post which model you're working on here, I'm willing to bet someone already has it to give as well.

dreko

I'm running a Roland LEC2-300. I believe the Peck software online is needed, and I've seen the PDF manuals/repair guides, etc when the tech has been on site.
I'll keep you all posted as to what Roland says. I'm told they've escalated my request, as well as mentioned I will void my warranty should I attempt any repair work.

jimbug72

Attachments

• lathg-swedish-chef-bork-lathg.gif
    lathg-swedish-chef-bork-lathg.gif
    255 KB · Views: 13