Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Right way for printing black and white picture?

Discussion in 'Videos' started by poligrafika, May 22, 2017.

1. poligrafika

poligrafika New Member

Oct 28, 2016
    macedonia
    Hi
    I have HP 5500 on UV ink working with Onyx 10.
    I print most of time on Canvas,Glossy and poster paper.
    I have trouble to figure what is the best way for printing Black and White picture.
    Does picture has to be already in Grayscale and on RIP to chose normal CMYK printing or
    picture to be CMYK and in RIP to chose Grayscale printing or picture to be Grayscale and on RIP to chose Grayscale printing.
    When i try Onyx sample picture that has inside color and grayscale, printing is perfect on color printing, but when i send grayscale picture on color printing, picture is like green.

Tags:
  2. Pauly

Pauly Colour Guru

Feb 14, 2016
    Melbourne
    Its your colour profile inside onyx.
    If your image is black and white already either in CMYK or RGB, the rip will convert it to a colour profile. If that colour profile uses low GCR it will use a lot more CMY instead of K so if the profile is not accurate it can have a colour cast like green in your case. Only way around that is to try and print with ALL ICC Profiles Off and hopefully it will print with K only. That's your only way.

The other way is to get someone to calibrate your printer or buy a spectrophotometer and calibrate it yourself.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  3. poligrafika

poligrafika New Member

Oct 28, 2016
    macedonia
    I have calibrator and i have make calibration.Color printing is perfect, problem is black and white picture.
    And i'm from Bitola,Macedonia

4. Pauly

Pauly Colour Guru

Feb 14, 2016
    Melbourne
    Edit your icc profile in media manager and go max GCR. that will use more black ink.

We're from Prilep.

5. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    I prepare my photos in Photoshop and instead of converting to black and white I run the Saturation slider all the way to the left. Then save it as a .tiff and print it just as you would a regular colored photo, that should help eliminate the green look.

6. Merilyn Shallcross

Merilyn Shallcross New Member

Feb 2, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for sharing.