• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

RIP for AI

brycesteiner

Unfortunately, an Ai file by itself doesn't exactly mean that it is "good to go", like a lot might think.

I'm pretty sure that EPS files have gone beyond ver. 3 (they may not be differences worth writing home about, but it has gone beyond just ver. 3. Now the RIP program may not read beyond ver. 3, I know my digitizing software does not, including the latest version which was released just about this time last year, but then again, it's still a 32 bit program, so it isn't saying much.

You do know that EPS is a Postscript file, right (Encapsulated PostScript)? Adobe PostScript is only at version 3. AI has many versions but EPS is not a program it's a file type.

WildWestDesigns

You do know that EPS is a Postscript file, right (Encapsulated PostScript)? Adobe PostScript is only at version 3. AI has many versions but EPS is not a program it's a file type.

Uhh, thanks for the vote of confidence, but yes, I'm fully aware that it is a file type and not a program.

Attachments

• EPS.png
    EPS.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 135

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
To repeat...

EPS is considered a zombie format and hasn’t been upgraded this millennium. EPS has never supported ICC color management nor transparency. When saving an EPS from Illustrator, a complete Ai file is always embedded and the EPS portion is version 3 as there has been no higher version.

Any transparency found in an Ai EPS is because of the complete Illustrator embedding. Illustrator saves only "Illustrator xx EPS" and not just EPS. The EPS portion of the file only goes as far as version 3 EPS.

Version 3 EPS should not be confused with Adobe PostScript Language Level 3.

As mentioned by other posts, saving Ai files with PDF compatibility ON as a default and setting Onyx to see all files is standard, best practice.

ikarasu

I've never had a problem with transparencies in an EPS file. Now, that may be an issue with a RIP using an EPS file, that I don't know, but that doesn't seem to be a problem with my embroidery software. Again though, RIP may be a different story.

I'll either use Ver. 3 or Ver. 8 depending on what I need (especially with regard to gradients).
We actually had an issue, so I did a lot of googling on it.

Basically Adobe themselves said Eps is dead, and to move onto pdf.

Illustrator is either transparency on, or off... For basic stuff it works .For stuff like shadows, or anything "fancy" if you don't flatten it, you're going to lose the transparency.

I tried switching to pdf, it lasted until my first file setup. I know it's a bad habit... But we do lots of real estate signs / arrows, a customer will order for their whole shop... 10 different names / designs, x 2 different arrows... So 20 different images. Most of my designing is from layers... I know, I probably should use artboards.. but I was self taught, and it was just a habit. Pdf won't save anything not on an artboard..

After trying to save my first file, I just said "nope" and kept using Eps.

One of the head guys at Adobe actually came out and told everyone eps is dead, and move onto pdf in their forums. He had a big post on all the stuff pdf can do, that EPs doesn't, such as save input ICC profiles.

Thanks guys.
My client got pissed since he spend an entire day preparing large AI files even though I requested raster files.
He kept saying “other” vendors do it. And I was like well we are not the “other” vendor.

Thanks for all your replies. I can drop some knowledge on them now.

FP

You should at least at home have a pirated illustrator to be able to convert artworks. It's not very professional rejecting a client with AI file extension.

fine point

You should at least at home have a pirated illustrator to be able to convert artworks. It's not very professional rejecting a client with AI file extension.
We have ligit illustrator and can convert as I mentioned previously.
They sent us a dozen of the files form 800mb to 3 gb. We simply don't have time to convert them to PDF, send them proofs, etc.

Long story short, this job is on tight budget (like everything else) and they are supposed to send us production ready files, so that we don't have to charge the file setting fee.

FP

WildWestDesigns

Basically Adobe themselves said Eps is dead, and to move onto pdf.

Illustrator is either transparency on, or off... For basic stuff it works .For stuff like shadows, or anything "fancy" if you don't flatten it, you're going to lose the transparency.

Most on here have to remember, I do go from the embroidery world. Shadows and the "fancy" effects don't translate well into embroidery. Even if digitized flawlessly, due to how one "breaks" down the shapes for production.

I tried switching to pdf, it lasted until my first file setup. I know it's a bad habit... But we do lots of real estate signs / arrows, a customer will order for their whole shop... 10 different names / designs, x 2 different arrows... So 20 different images. Most of my designing is from layers... I know, I probably should use artboards.. but I was self taught, and it was just a habit. Pdf won't save anything not on an artboard..

I use layers a lot as well. Not so much artboards, for my workflow that's actually more of a detriment then a help.

However, the killer thing is that the digitizing software that I have (commercial software anyway), don't accept PDFs directly. Have to use some intermediary program (in Wilcom's case, that's DRAW, unless your like me and don't install DRAW and use Ai). It will, however, read EPS (and it will translate the transparencies of said EPS file as well) directly. Not bad for programs that refuse to "grow up" and be 64bit (that would be the embroidery programs, not EPS "programs" that some people seem to think I'm talking about, no not you ikarasu).

Also, PDFs do actually save beyond the artboard, they just don't tend to display beyond the artboard. If you bring that PDF back into Ai, you should still be able to get the entire graphic. At least, I've been able to. Just actually had to deal with that for a client yesterday as a matter of fact.

One of the head guys at Adobe actually came out and told everyone eps is dead, and move onto pdf in their forums. He had a big post on all the stuff pdf can do, that EPs doesn't, such as save input ICC profiles.

In my world, that's not as a big deal as it is in y'alls. Just like Ai's artboard limitation isn't that big of a deal for me.

Personally, I find it more unprofessional to have a pirated copy of programs that people are expected to buy for a particular business (or use programs that they can get legit without paying if a budget is that tight).

I'll reject files regardless if it's vector or raster if the design cannot be reproduced cleanly in my production method of choice or if there are other things wrong with it (fonts not outlined, linked files that are sent along, embedded design not actually vector but a low res raster file etc).

brycesteiner

After trying to save my first file, I just said "nope" and kept using Eps.

Unfortunately, there are good and bad PDF files. Any program/print driver nowadays can save/export them but not all do a good job. Even Adobe's programs suck at it when it comes to transparency exported in PDF's. You can tell them to flatten 'til the cows come home but they still do a poor job or won't complete the job.
I know it's antiquated but if I want to guarantee that drop shadows, transparency, and other things coming out right, then good old Distiller is the program to use. You have the full version of Acrobat includes it and it is a must.
The files generally come out larger but the flattening is done right. You print to a postscript file and then drop it in Distiller. Of course, you need the right settings but it will do a good job of getting rid of things that don't work when they files were exported.
I still export a lot from Indesign but if there is a file that I know or is having problems, I will distill it with my custom preset. It will eliminate the boxes around drop shadows that print in slightly different colors/transparency and many other issues.

PDF and EPS are just containers for hold vector and raster data created in other programs. One of the reasons I like PS and EPS is they don't have all the ICC problems that PDF can have (that's another topic).

ikarasu

Also, PDFs do actually save beyond the artboard, they just don't tend to display beyond the artboard. If you bring that PDF back into Ai, you should still be able to get the entire graphic. At least, I've been able to. Just actually had to deal with that for a client yesterday as a matter of fact.

Yes, you can open the pdf and its still there. Well... I'm not sure if the PDF saves it, but when you save a PDF from illustrator unless you tell it not to, default is to save a copy of the .AI file with the pdf. If you turn that option off... you save a bit of file space, but the pdf has issues being edited in illustrator. I've never tried saving a pdf with it turned off and then re-opening it, it might still pick everything up outside of the artboard, but I have a feeling its the .ai file illustrator is opening.

But.. Onyx only rips the artboard. Everything else doesnt get ripped, so I'd have to open everything up and move it to the artboard, etc. Another thing is if you have a 30 x 30 artboard, and your artwork is only 24 x 30.... our rip will rip it as 30x30 with a lot of white space..

There might be a way to make it more convenient, but we've only had problems with eps a few times, so it's not worth it for us. Everywhere I look everyone says eps is a dead format, and pdf is much better though. I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to it, but if something's not broken, why fix it? EPS is fine for us for now!

WildWestDesigns

Yes, you can open the pdf and its still there. Well... I'm not sure if the PDF saves it, but when you save a PDF from illustrator unless you tell it not to, default is to save a copy of the .AI file with the pdf. If you turn that option off... you save a bit of file space, but the pdf has issues being edited in illustrator. I've never tried saving a pdf with it turned off and then re-opening it, it might still pick everything up outside of the artboard, but I have a feeling its the .ai file illustrator is opening.

I don't doubt that this could be possible. I haven't really had a chance to try it out as 95% of what I get is actually raster files, typically moderate to low res copies, so most of this stuff is within my own ecosystem if you will.

There might be a way to make it more convenient, but we've only had problems with eps a few times, so it's not worth it for us. Everywhere I look everyone says eps is a dead format, and pdf is much better though. I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to it, but if something's not broken, why fix it? EPS is fine for us for now!

I agree and since this also, like I said, tends to be my own ecosystem, why not? It certainly doesn't affect my quality of output.