• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

RIP for packaging prototypes

ndowd

Is there a RIP out there that can handle opening files for a print and cut to a cutting table?

I need to be able to open supplied files and easily work with cut and crease lines and add registration for my cutting table. I print to a Mutoh VJ1614 and then mount to corrugated cardboard and die cut and crease on my Colex cutting table.

We are handling these files in Illustrator right now but we are spending hours cleaning everything up to go to print and separating the line work for the table and I know there has to be an easier way.

We RIP now with Flexi 10 and I have tried to use it to this purpose but have not had any success with adding registration marks or printing vector files without seeing transparency boxes.

Any help with this is appreciated.

MikeD

I think Wasatch recently added flatbed plotters to their list of supplied devices, but I'm not sure...check their site maybe?
Good Luck

ndowd

I have read that as well and am waiting for contact from them to see if we can demo it.

Do you know how well it works currently with opening live files? We have issues image transparencies opening live files in Flexi.

CS-SignSupply-TT

Your answer is found in EnRoute PLUS

Is there a RIP out there that can handle opening files for a print and cut to a cutting table?

I need to be able to open supplied files and easily work with cut and crease lines and add registration for my cutting table. I print to a Mutoh VJ1614 and then mount to corrugated cardboard and die cut and crease on my Colex cutting table.

We are handling these files in Illustrator right now but we are spending hours cleaning everything up to go to print and separating the line work for the table and I know there has to be an easier way.

We RIP now with Flexi 10 and I have tried to use it to this purpose but have not had any success with adding registration marks or printing vector files without seeing transparency boxes.

Any help with this is appreciated.

I talked with the folks at SAi and graphixdirect.com and they confirm your answer is EnRoute PLUS http://enroutesoftware.com/default.aspx

If you have questions about pricing and availability, please contact me.

ndowd

EnRoute seems more emphasized with the routing are you sure it will work as well for packaging prototypes? We rarely ever use our router.

ForgeInc

If I understand your question correctly, and I think I do...you are hoping to find a workflow that easily separates out cut files from print files, and then preps and sends appropriate files separately to each device? My gut says there isn't...as cut and score files always need tweaking and different setups depending on the cutter and then they have to be sent separately but I too would love to know if there is an easier solution.

ndowd

That's the nail on the head. Currently we are opening everything in Illustrator to correct the line work. Unfortunately, we also deal with a lot of files that have font and link issues so the artwork does not always open well in Illustrator so a lot of times we are correcting the line work in Illustrator and placing the artwork PDF in InDesign with the corrected line work and matching them back up manually to the registration marks. Its quite a long process and when you have 20-30 files and they all have to be produced the next day it becomes a nightmare.

I know there are faster ways as there are companies around us turning this stuff pretty quickly.

CS-SignSupply-TT

WILL EnRoute work?

EnRoute seems more emphasized with the routing are you sure it will work as well for packaging prototypes? We rarely ever use our router.

I have assurances from SAi and graphixdirect.com Nevertheless, I will double check and get back to you.