• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rip/Print Large file Flexi 10.5

Intense01

Hello, I am running into some issues and it is making me crazy. I have a file that I am trying to rip and print with Flexi 10.5. It is 360x70". There are a lot of high resolution photos. I have it paneled out in about 8 panels.

It is taking forever to rip. I have done huge trailers and never have had this issue before. It is a gradient background with a logo that has a transparent "lens" on it along with about 20 high res photos. Do I design it smaller and when I rip enlarge it? I have never had this issue before but I am ready to go home and deal with it tomorrow.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks again!

CalamityJay

Failed to rip...possible solutions.

Have you tried saving it as an eps? ai? or pdf?

saving down pdfx-1a seems to help in these circumstances for me. (*this will flatten your artwork though so make sure you have a copy of the original)

also try down saving to native forms of illustrator ex: ai8/10.

As a flexi operator,it seems like i run into all kinds of workarounds which makes me wanna :banghead: too!

:cool1:?

Intense01

Have you tried saving it as an eps? ai? or pdf?

saving down pdfx-1a seems to help in these circumstances for me. (*this will flatten your artwork though so make sure you have a copy of the original)

also try down saving to native forms of illustrator ex: ai8/10.

As a flexi operator,it seems like i run into all kinds of workarounds which makes me wanna :banghead: too!

:cool1:?

Thank you for your responses. I tried saving it as ai, pdf and eps. Everytime I import it into flexi I seem to lose parts of the artwork. In eps I lose the transparency of the logo. I will try to save it as a pdfx 1a. I dont remember seeing that option in the save menu but I keep looking. Thank you for the help.

jayhawksigns

If you don't need to edit it, try loading it directly into Production Manager.

Anymore for the wholesale work we do, I bypass Flexi completely, funny how the core design program will screw that stuff up but the PM can handle it just fine.

Intense01

If you don't need to edit it, try loading it directly into Production Manager.

Anymore for the wholesale work we do, I bypass Flexi completely, funny how the core design program will screw that stuff up but the PM can handle it just fine.

How do I bypass and load directly into production manager? Can I do it through illustrator or does it only work with Flexi directly?

Intense01

Do I save it in actual size? The file says it is only 29.9MB but when I drag and drop it into PM it freezes it. I tried exporting it into AI and dropping it into the PM it just shows a 19" square of the entire thing. I will keep messing with it.

Another issue I was having on the smaller prints is the transparent logo was printing jagged along all edges. It is a vector file that I added a transparent lens on. Not sure why it is looking so horrible.

jayhawksigns

Even with exporting from Flexi to PM, I have in the past converted the entire job to raster in Flexi before I sent it. One of the many things it would be nice for SAi to finally getting around to getting right.

FrankW

Have you tried Flexi 10.5.1 until now as suggested? It is a KNOWN ISSUE that sending some kind of files from Flexi to the PM through RIP & Print takes very long.

FrankW

yea it's really bizarre how PM can handle the files but flexi chokes. always hit or miss for me.

Flexi tries to open e. g. PDF for editing, and this could cause problems if effects are in the file which Flexi don't support. Production Manager doesn't do that. Just because of this Production Manager works more reliable with some kind of files than Flexi does.

With Flexi 10, there is a possibility to load PDF into Flexi without really loading it, just linking (set "link" active in open window). You can't edit the data, but you can add some kind of effects, additional graphics and so on. When printing, Flexi accesses the original file again.

CalamityJay

OMG that is awesome. Thanks! What is the workaround though when you go to print with a contour?

Do you just save a different file for the contour cut just drop it over the linked image?

Is this possible? It is late in my work day and my mind isn't wrapping around this concept too clearly.

FrankW

10.5.1 is an Upgrade to 10.5. And, as mentioned before, it solves an issue with sending Files through RIP and Print.