• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rip Software

jdesign

Owner @graphiceffex
Hey Guys, I just bought my first printer... an SP-300 which came with Colorip and I'm looking to upgrade my rip software. Was wondering what you guys recommend. Do you think Versaworks Dongle Key would be my best bet? I've also been looking at Wasatch Softrip and Signlab. Let me know, Thx, Dave

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Have you talked to the sales person who sold you the SP-300? Do you know what a Dongle Key is?

I use Wasatch SoftRip but from what I've heard Versaworks it fairly decent and included with the printer.

jdesign

Owner @graphiceffex
Bought it from a private seller. Not sure on the Dongle Key, I believe it's like a pin drive. I have a tech getting me a price on VW, but I just wanted to ask around.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Why did you buy the printer? There are plenty of wholesale vendors available for a design company.

VersaWorks is included with the Roland as far as I know. If I were you I would stop and try to learn more about the SP-300 and how to operate it before spending more money.

More curious to know: Does the printer even work? If so how do you know?

jdesign

Owner @graphiceffex
Why did I buy it?... so I don't have to work for the Man anymore... haha I bought it for $1500 bucks and yeah it works... I rebuilt everything myself using this site and the 2 manuals. When the Tech came all he did was confirm I need up upgrade my rip software.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Ok. Please tell me the secret to finding and buying a SP300 for $1,500. Also how much did you spend to get it to it's current state?

I would call Wasatch tomorrow and ask for a demo presentation and/or trial if they have one available. They have a roland specific version that is cheaper but limited to Roland's.

CentralSigns

Must be a part machine or real real old at that price. New is 10 times that. If you never done this stuff before, soon you will be working for the man again. My version of Versaworks 2010 has no dongle must be old.

Oh ya,

A cold welcome from the frozen Rockies !!! See it's your first post and all, cool

Jim Hill

I use Colorip and it works fine.

I also purchased a used SP-300 and it came with Colorip and once I learned how to use it I have had no problems with it.

My printer also came with VersaWorks software but I could not get it to work but the former owner told me that he had it working.

I read a great deal about VersaWorks being the better of the two programs but for me Colorip works fine.

You said the printer cost $1,500 that is a great price if it worked and did not need a few thousand dollars worth of parts.

I spend around $5,000 and have now used mine for the better part of a year and it works perfectly.

My printer also came with all new ink and about 250 yards of new vinyl.

The owner was the original owner of the printer and he replaced a number of parts before he shipped it in the original box with all the manuals.

I had looked for over a year before finding this printer and many of the printers I looked at were either basket cases or had not been run for either months or even years so there was no way of doing a test print first which is something I wanted to see before making a purchase.

Jim Hill

stillhasdust

SP-300 comes with color rip if you want to upgrade it to versaworks it is $1,000.

Your best bet is to just pay to get the versaworks. The only problem I see with color rip is you have to do all of your multiples in your design program. The dongle key is just a USB key similar to what Flexi uses.

Gene@mpls

For reference- the small format print version of Wasatch with cut
feature is (I think) $875. Worked great on my SP300V. The 'V' models
came with Versaworks- the SP300 came with a cheaper version of
Wasatch.

Large Format

Take a look at upgrading Wasatch, It not expensive, just contact Wasatch with SP-300 serial number the price is $600. Smoke n good deal.

Trimline20

The SP-300 and SP-540 were the original VersaCAMMs. I have one and it is still a great machine. It shipped with ColorRIP as the included RIP.

I exclusively use FlexiSign Pro which is both a great design application and RIP. I was already a Flexi user before obtaining the VersaCAMM so I've never even installed ColorRIP and I understand ColorRIP at the time was not that great anyway. My Roland Dealer didn't even seem to support CR but did heavily support Flexi.

The next generation VersaCAMMs were the SP-300v/SP-540v which were identical to the none 'v' versions except they included VersaWorks RIP instead of ColorRIP. I understand that VW was right away much more superior to CR and on-par with Flexi and my Dealer supported both Flexi & VW equally.

VW is now the standard RIP included with all Roland models. VW will accept direct input from Flexi for anyone wishing to continue using Flexi and not wanting to incur the additional expense to upgrade Flexi if only to support RIPing to a newer Roland printer model.

I have recently read that Wasatch (ColorRIP) has improved greatly since the version included with my printer, but I'll continue to use Flexi's design capabilities and outstanding printing results.

Mark

Last edited: