• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rip Van Winkle

Z SIGNS

I wonder what a sign person from the 40's 50's or 60's who fell asleep and woke up in 2014 would have to say about the craft as it is today

Dakotagrafx

they would have a stroke and not believe some of what is produced. you bought something and now you think you are a signmaker without any training or apprenticeship LOL

Speedsterbeast

Interesting question. But I would think it would be the same for almost any profession. The ones who are set in their ways, just as today would skoff and say how much skill it took back then and how "easy" it is today. But a few, open minded people, people like my father, who built cedar strip canoes, his own aircraft, and in his SIXTIES, learned how to use 3DS Max proficiently to design his own homebuilt Shalako dune buggy, would marvel at and embrace today's technology and the possibilities of its potential to be creative on a level never thought possible by their generation. To bad he never got to finish the project.

visual800

They would be amazed at the skilled and shocked at the amount of crap designers. They would be shocked at all the cheap littering signs planted all over town. They would be amazed at the digital art and layouts done on the computer. They would be shocked at the RUSH, RUSH, RUSH this world has become

OldPaint

WELLLLL being born 1945, STARTED PAINTING SIGNS IN THE 50's......did the 60's.....in the military.....and was awake and saw the changes....
1. ITS SAD.......that something that took training, talent and skills to produce can be given away as such a cheap commodity because of the technology that makes any one capable of typing on a keyboard.......A GRAPHIC ARTIST(or so they think of themselves).
2.AMAZING....... that if you possess the talent, skills & abilities of a sign painter/artist.......WHAT FANTASTIC AND WONDERFULLY BEAUTIFUL signs you can create))))))
3. even those with out any skills to begin with..... CAN LEARN and produce quality products....in less time then we took in the 50's.
4. BUT.........50's & 60's......WE PUT MORE MONEY IN OUR POCKETS, with less equipment and material costs........so today its not the amount of KNOWLEDGE YOU have........but the AMOUNT OF EXPENDABLE MONEY you have available to buy something so you can say
I IS A SIGN MAKER)))))