Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIVETED TRAILER

Discussion in 'Vehicle Graphics' started by PrintGod31, Jul 1, 2020.

1. PrintGod31

PrintGod31 All Hail Johannes gutenberg

Mar 31, 2020
    Waco Tx
    Just wanted to get a opinion on the best material to use for a 16ft rivted trailer.

Tags:
  2. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Cast. Is the trailer riveted or screwed? Cargo trailers usually use screws which I remove if it isn't a wrap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    So you don't remove the screw when it IS a wrap?? ::scratching my head::

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  4. Jayefkay531

Jayefkay531 Member

May 10, 2017
    CT
    Any cast would do. If you are able to remove the rivets, then any intermediate will do. I use 3M 180 because it conforms to the rivets without tenting. If you can remove them, 40c will work just fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Stacey K

Stacey K I like making signs

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    I would use cast but I'm in WI and so I don't take chances with intermediate. If it's screws, take them out and apply vinyl, then screw back in. I have painted them to match the vinyl or you can just leave them plain metal. If it's the smooth rivets then for sure use cast. Make sure you take into account the cost difference of cast vs. intermediate when you do the estimate. It takes a little practice going over the smooth rivets the first time so make sure you have enough material incase you mess up LOL (I know from experience)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    No head scratching required. In my experience removing a complete line of screws creates more problems like "oil canning". Once those screws are removed the panel is able to move as you try to squeegee the material. Especially on the cargo trailers that have been overloaded their whole life and the skin is stress rippled.

For partial graphics I will take them out since the integrity of the panel is maintained.

My methods have worked for nearly three decades. YMMV

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Stacey K

Stacey K I like making signs

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Ya - that's a good point. Don't take all the screws out for a wrap, only partial graphics. Good thing you chimed in! LOL