• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rivets ...

TheSellOut

Whats techniques are tried and true for heat sealing rivets on a vehicle wrap (more specifically, box trucks) and have you found any tools that have made the process faster?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Rollepro and of course the forever tried and true pin on a stick, rivet brush, and torch. But for sheer speed - the rollepro kicks ass. :)

Bigdawg

Just Me
Rollepro and of course the forever tried and true pin on a stick, rivet brush, and torch. But for sheer speed - the rollepro kicks ass. :)

I bought one for the guys 2 years ago at the show and they didn't use. Then one of them worked with a guy that knew how to make it work and he swears by it now.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There are many tools around, but the best advise is patience... and high instant heat until you get the hang of whatever you choose.

I used to use a soft squeegee, a pin and my fingers with lotsa heat.
Now, I really like the Rollepro. Not everyone in our shop likes it, but they can use it.

TheSellOut

Thanks guys...I must need to figure out the correct way to use the Rollepro because I attempted using it on this project in the beginning, failed, gave up on it, and am now using the old finger technique on approx. 2000 rivets....needless to say my fingers are now raw!!

BALLPARK

+1 for the RollePro...

Once you create a vertical bridge over the rivet from the bottom all the way to the top, simply heat and roll.

Keys:

* Create a good bridge over the rivets, try to keep the left and right side of the bridge straight all the way. Try not to let the top of the rivet touch your bridge during this process.

* Heat will make or break your process. Try to get about 170 - 200 degrees on the vinyl. You will see the vinyl smooth out completely and it is ready for the RollePro.

* RollePro time... Apply good solid pressure and follow the path of your bridge. Start with just heating 1-2 rivets and work your way up to "X" rivets. Do not start on the ends and work your way to the middle.

The process is very fast and when done correctly, you will only need your post heat process after you do a rivet. The post heat is done at the end after all panels have been installed.

Yeah I love my RollePro and box truck wraps! lol...

GoodPeopleFlags

Do you have any pics or video of your process? I'm not sure what you mean by "bridge". I've watched the videos on the RollePro site but those are made to look effortless. I'd like to see someone use it that's not affiliated with RollePro. I've also read some not-so-great reviews about it on here before.

wes70

Do you have any pics or video of your process? I'm not sure what you mean by "bridge". I've watched the videos on the RollePro site but those are made to look effortless. I'd like to see someone use it that's not affiliated with RollePro. I've also read some not-so-great reviews about it on here before.

I too would be interested in a "real" video on the use of the RollePro and any other techniques regarding wrapping or applying vinyl over rivets.

TheSellOut

BallPark...Thanks for the detail, and man do I wish I asked this two days ago before I applied the second side to the box truck. From your description I believe where I might have been going wrong was allowing the vinyl to tack down to the top of the rivets instead of leaving the bridge.

By bridge he mean a channel of air over top of the row of rivets...I believe!

How about other tools such as the "Torpedo" or the "Rivet Sealer 3000"?