• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rland VP-540 strange ethernet cable problem

netsol

Premium Subscriber
2 things, if printer is not plugged into network, how can it return a ping?
i speculate another device is returning the ping, muddying the waters, adding confusion to your problem

things i would try:

(1) isolate the printer from the network with a 5 port switch and 2 short lan cables

plug the switch into power (same circuit breaker as the printer)

connect lan cable from printer to 5 port switch ($13.00 on amazon, cheaper than changing the printer) plug another port on the 5 port switch into your regular network. you could have a bad isolation capacitor in your roland .

(2) try an isolation transformer to plug the printer in with (your would be 220v,)

regarding the powering off issue

i just bought a used one on ebay for $20, obviously 220v would be more expensive

perhaps we can save you a couple thousand...

let mevknow if you wsnt me to talk you through some of this

you can always message me at 4 am EST if the time works for you. should be 9 or 10 am your time

netsol

Premium Subscriber
monomoI forgot you.
discussed your issue with jim hancock and thought I posted

jim,
i am very curious, he mentioned doing some "maintenance tasks"

i wonder if he ended up moving one piece of equipment to a different phase outlet (its all 220)

i would be curious if he connect the printer to a switch with an ethernet cable, if it shuts down right away, or if the shutdown would happen if he uplinked that switch to his router.

perhaps the outlet the pc is plugged into is "hot" out of phase with the printer's power source.

in a perfect world, he could connect the printer to a laptop, running on just battery power.

then ping
then http into the ip address,
then test print

to my thinking, there would be no shutdown, if the laptop was isolated from mains power

if my test proved accurate, we just need to break the ground loop or whatever is causing the problem

monomo
if you want to messge me, i will reply and be glad to work with you to resolve this

we are in new jersey - 5:00 (eastern standrd time)
9 or 10 am, your time should be 4 am my time. if this works, this is. tome when i remote into client systems, before leaving for the day