• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rockhopper 38 Down

Bannerday

My Rockhopper is giving me a E074 Y current error.

Trouble started when for some reason it went over to sheet from roll. In trying to get that figured out we got the E074 y current error.
Checked other post and cleaned encoder. Also got the spit cup more secure.

If I start out with the print-head at the extreme right or left I get the error immediately. If I start with it anywhere else, the error doesn't come until it reaches the capping station.

Tried the Diag:Adj but can't get through it without getting the error.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

RG

Hello, Bannerday. Looks like all the pros are on vacation. So, I'll throw out a few ideas to you. I have a FOJ, which is the same printer as the Rockhopper 38. Sometimes I get the same error message. Sounds like there is somethning around the capping station that is not letting the carriage move freely enough. Is the spring on the back side of the capping station still attached? Is any of the tubing around the capping station making contact with the printheads? Inspect that thin metal strip above the carriage. This holds the carriage on the capping station when it's at rest. I think it should be about parallel to the floor. It's really easy to bend. Wipe the tracks where the bearings roll when moving the carriage from side to side. Oil these tracks with a small amount of thin oil (nothing as thick as motor oil). Now I'll tell you what seems to help my printer the most. When the printhead carriage moves all the way to the right, it makes contact with the capping station and moves it to the right and upward. There are 2 inclines on the right side and 1 on the left side of the maintenance station. Put a little bit of lithium grease (or some other light grease) on these 3 inclines. This makes it easier for the capping station to move to the right and upward. Like I said, this seems to help my printer. Also, inspect all of the bearings that move the carriage from side to side. One of them could be worn-out. Good luck.

Bannerday

Thanks for the suggestions RG. I'll try them out and let you know. I've been down
for 5 days now and I'm running out of ideas.

RG

You are welcome, Bannerday. I know how frustrating this can be. If your printer is like mine, then you are the only tech guy it will ever see. Do you have the maintenance manual? If not, pm me your e-mail address and I'll see what I can do. It's about a 7.3mb PDF file. Maybe do some more searching on this forum. Several other people have had the same error problem.

Bannerday

Thanks RG I have the manual, not that I'm an expert with it, but I'm trying :)

Baz, thanks for the good thoughts buddy, it's appreciated.

Stealth Ryder

"This message indicates that a
fault has occurred due to an
overload of the head
movement (Y axis) motor while
the printer was working"

Clean the Raceways, Clean the Timing Fence... Any obstruction to the Head Carriage Assy can cause this Error... Anything that impeads HeadCarriage Assy movement in any way can cause this Error to occur... It's all got to do with amperage, resistance, and impeadance... Most commonly caused by dirty raceways or dirty/damaged Timing Fence/Encoder Strips...:supersmilie:

Last edited:

raider

I think I had to replace the driver motor for the print head - can't remember the error I was getting. Hope your problem can be fixed with cleanings.

Bannerday

Stealth Ryder

Cleaned all the parts suggested, except I'm not sure about the timing fence and can't find it in the manual.

Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks

Stealth Ryder

Stealth Ryder

Cleaned all the parts suggested, except I'm not sure about the timing fence and can't find it in the manual.

Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks

Sure, see the attached pic

Attachments

• Encoder Strip.jpg
    Encoder Strip.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 65

Bannerday

No good news to report. Cleaned the all parts suggested, lubricated as suggested and still no go.

Kills me, but I'm out of ideas and I'll have to get a tech in.

I bought the machine used, so no service there.

Any suggestions or tips for service in the Philly area?

JuanCarlos

Problem with Agfa GSU 87 / MUTOH Spitfire

Hello there everyone,

I have a special problem with an AGFA GSU AM which is given a lot of problems; the last one is a problem that has made a message in the LCD Display appears as "068 Encoder" after some smoke came out from the right side where the Mother Bord Assy is located.

We opened the covers in order to take a look to the Mainboard and the smoke was coming from the front msinboard very close to the Head Drive Assy, but wasn´t from that part; it actually seems that is coming from the connector of the lever motor that made the Mainboard completely burned on that area.

I will certainly replece the mainboard, but my concern is that the problem would burn the new Mainboard.

Any idea, suggection, warning, etc...??? I really need more brains than min thinking in a good solution...

Last edited:

letterman7

Hello there everyone,

I have a special problem with an AGFA GSU AM which is given a lot of problems; the last one is a problem that has made a message in the LCD Display appears as "068 Encoder" after some smoke came out from the right side where the Mother Bord Assy is located.

We opened the covers in order to take a look to the Mainboard and the smoke was coming from the front msinboard very close to the Head Drive Assy, but wasn´t from that part; it actually seems that is coming from the connector of the lever motor that made the Mainboard completely burned on that area.

I will certainly replece the mainboard, but my concern is that the problem would burn the new Mainboard.

Any idea, suggection, warning, etc...??? I really need more brains than min thinking in a good solution...

Instead of highjacking a thread, please start a new one with this question!