• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rockhopper 38/Falcon Outdoor Junior newbie questions

CRD

Hello current and previous Mutoh RH 38 users,

As this was my only way to get things done myself with the agreement of the wife. :thankyou:

I last week stumbled across an used RH 38 with Onyx 6,5 rip.

For the past 2 years I outsourced the printing where they use a Mutoh 1614 with onyx7 rip.

My daily job is repairing inkjet machines but I admit I am totally new to Eco Solvent, Ripping and profiles.

Read a lot on the web and learn every day.

I hope some one can shed a light over my questions or guide me in the right direction.

The previous user showed the machine working only using an other rip.
He also showed the test print of the machine and said this is like it is for the time he owned the machine. He was the first owner. He also printed a large sample which looked good at that moment. He said the heads and capping station were replaced recently.

At home I started to print on the media the outsource printshop used to use too for me, Arlon DPF 4560GTX and DPF8000.

I first started with the Onyx rip and according to the previous owner the MACTAC JT5929PM 720 profile was what he used the most the past years.
Result was not what I expected it should be.
All the yellow were a bit of greenish.

Took Flexi 8.1v1 to rip and the colors with a MACTAC 5829 profile looks much better. So that was step one. But all prints have a certain amount of banding.
I ran several head cleanings but the banding stays.
Also did the alignment test and set new settings.
http://www.jupacreations.com/rh38_testprint.jpg

I again ran the selftest and a test print from Flexi where it shows some nozzle in Magenta missing. Also the black missing 1 in the second line.

Both heaters are set a 49 Degrees Celsius.
Ink in the machine currently is from Rising Star Signy.
http://www.cc-gp.com/uploads/DIGISTAR SIGNY (EN).pdf

Now here are my questions.
1] Do all testprints look like the one I scanned?

2] Must the second black line not be the same as the first?
It looks like the nozzles at the end are firing not in a straight line.
Does the head has two rows of black nozzles?

3] Is the banding due to the 6 missing magenta nozzles?

4] Would replacing the color and black head make the print without banding?

5] Should I buy cleaner and swaps to see if the blacked nozzle would come alive.

If any one has tips and tricks I did not found on the web yet I would gladly learn them.

Many thanks in advance,

Paco Raap

Last edited:

AUTO-FX

Moving the machine was likely a huge disturbance . Secondly, profiles combined with your design software have alot to do with everything. First thing would be to get the machine operating per specs. Was this machine flushed before it was move? If not, i would start with a thorough flush and reboot of inks.
Thirdley, this machine is best suited for general purpose printing at less than excellant quality output. makes a good banner printer, but not a good small decal printer.
Keep working on it, and experiment with profiles until you find something acceptable, but understand that it is only a medium grade printer as far as quality is concerned.

CRD

Auto-FX,

Thanks for the reply.
No it was not flushed.
I see what I can do about that.
It would be nice for my convenience if someone can show a correct machine test output to see how far I am off.

Thanks, Paco

CRD

I have worked a little more on the machine.
It prints and I ordered a new color head and dampers.
I also came across something I cant find anywhere in the manuals or can rationally understand.

When I select media on the machine to be sheets or rolls and I place the paper and put the lever down, the foils is ejected to the rear every time. This is not happening when both leds for sheets and rolls are lit. Which should indicate a roll up system is used which in my case is not. In the last case I can place rolls or sheets and when the lever goes down it nicely detects the witdh of the foil.

I also downloaded the service manual to see if there are more adjustments.
And yes they are there.
But when I like to try the nozzle test in maintenance mode I have the same that the paper is ejected to the rear as soon as it asks for media and put the lever down.
I tried this with all media settings but same result.

Any hint in the correct direction?

Thanks in advance.

Paco

randya

Often times there is too much light for the paper sensor to read correctly.
You can try to put a shade or cover over the printer to test this out.

CRD

Hi randya,

In maintenance mode...........
Your correct and we are one step further.
After the machine ask to set paper and I close the top cover so no light can go in and put the lever down it retracks the media until the leading edge, then it moves to the front 30 cm. Then the head moves over the media to measure the witdh and the head returns to home position.
Then it says adjustment print in display but nothing happens all keys do nothing.
Only the cancel key will beep once but also here nothing happens.
Have to power down the machine to exit this mode.

Paco

Last edited:

CRD

HI,

Received a new color head and wanted it to replace.
When I unpacked it I first looked to find the head rank number.
Oohps not as mentioned in the manual at the left side.
Only number is at the top and it is not 5 digits and has also letters.
Any one else came across this?

I already emailed the supplier but this can take some days due to the year switch.

Paco

Attachments

• IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 66
I just got one in with the same thing on it. I am waiting until Tuesday to call and find out what is going on. Where did you get yours from? Mine came from solventinkjet.com. They have been good and I'm sure they will take care of this right away.

CRD

Mine came from Digiprint supplies in Belgium.
See picture for the info on the carton.
No head rank number except for serialnumber of the head.

I let you know when I get a reply.

Paco

Attachments

• IMG_0102.jpg
    IMG_0102.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 82
I got mine from a different supplier. I called them yesterday and they gave it to me over the phone. They have them recorded in their system. I would try calling your supplier direct.

CRD

Finishline,

New to me that head ranks are not delivered with the head.
At my company the boxes that carry the printheads they all have a seperate label on the head and one extra which you can stick somewhere in the machine.

Will get on the phone with MY supplier.
Let you know the out come.
If you placed your new printhead and it is setup correctly could you make a picture of the test print of the machine.
Just of rmy convenience if I need to replace the head or not.

Thanks in advance, Paco

SlightlyChilled

all the ones in the pics are knock offs from what I am hearing. The head rank should be on the side if not they are not real epson heads. That's what a epson person told me.

CRD

SlightlyChilled,

Thanks for your investigation and letting me (us) know.

This is what the supplier advertise with.
Epson DX2 original, solvent resistant print head suitable for Mutoh Rockhopper I / 38 / RJ-800 / RJ-4100 / RJ-6100 / RJ-6154, Mimaki JV2, Roland CJ-500 / SC-500 / FJ-50 / FJ-52 printers. This is the original Epson DX2 solvent colour printhead, delivered in a sealed Epson original package with head ID. Two colour heads should be used on RH-I printers whereas one colour head and one black head should be used on RH-38 printers. Mutoh part number for this colour DX2 head is DE-49732.

http://www.digiprint-supplies.com/epson-dx2-solvent-colour.html

This is the answer I got today.

The printhead you received is a genuine Epson printhead and it will work perfectly fine on your printer. Please let us know what printer you run and send us the ID of the previous head which was installed and we will explain how to enter the new ID.

So now the question remains who is right and who is not.
I still need my head rank before I go to investigate more.:Big Laugh

Once again thanks and I keep you guys updated.

Paco

SlightlyChilled

Okay here is the song and dance I had to go through.

ME: are your heads from epson

China: yes they are real epson heads not OEM

Me: okay you tell me they are not OEM and at the same time you tell me they are real Epson heads. mmmmm

China: sorry over here OEM means not real

Me: okay what ever where is the head rank for the heads

China: I have no clue we need to get with one of our engineers.

Me: Why would I need to talk to your engineers if they are Epson head? Should you not call epson.

China engineer:I will look into this for you.
Me: But it should have it on the side. all heads are different and have their own number...
China: -----no response-----
ME: you tell me the heads are from epson and you never even open the boxes. The heads are old stock.
China: yes that is true
Me then why do I see a sticker on the head with the date you shipped them IN THE BOX ON THE HEAD....

China:---No response----

I really don't care where they came from I just don't like being lied to about it...

So I had asked a Epson person and they told me all the heads they sell have head ranks on them...

For all I know the Epson rep my be just blowing smoke. But I would believe them over some china supplier that I can never see in real life

CRD

Nice, (the write up) not the result.
I have to wait and see.
My supplier is not in China but in my neighbour country Belgium.

Paco

If you placed your new printhead and it is setup correctly could you make a picture of the test print of the machine.
Just of rmy convenience if I need to replace the head or not.

Thanks in advance, Paco

I have not replaced mine yet. I just ordered it to have an extra.