• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rockhopper 38/Falcon Outdoor Junior newbie questions

CRD

OK current color head rank 13115.
Supplier mailed me to use 13215.
Monday I will ask the technical background where the get the number from.

Before I wanted to change the head I had a leaking pump so this was my first concern.
The tube inside the pump had a small slit.
And ink was spilled in the machine while purging.

So I purchased for the peace of mind a complete new maintenance station.
Installed it and guess what error E074 Y current overload.
Adjusted the station but same problem.
Checked all bearings and encoder strip.
When I removed the M station the error was gone.
So it had something to do with the new maintenance station as the old did not showed the problem as I printed before I changed the unit.

I found out that at the right side there is a large m6 screw that prevents the unit to be pressed to far when the head goes into the capping station lock position. When I turned out this screw 4 turns the problem was gone.
Luck or...............we have to see but if you are in the same condition give it a try.

Next week try to change the head.
Magenta missing 7 nozzles.

Paco

CRD

What time is involved in changing the color head and adjust it when all flows like it should?
30 minutes?

Paco

It usually takes me a couple of hours but that is during work and with several interuptions. I could do it in about an hour or so to change it and make the adjustments. If this is your first time It would take a little longer.

CRD

OK thanks Finishline,

Then I know I have to take some time for it and not just before lunch.

Paco

CRD

I replaced the color head.
Changed the color head rank and refilled the dampers.
Then the testprint feature showed up and I had to load the vinyl as stated in the service manual and then the testprint would be performed.
Vynil placed and it checked the sensors (moving vinyl backwards and forward) and then gave a error message about illegal paper size or something. Could not clear this problem so I switched off/on the machine and performed the regular nozzle test print which showed some nozzles missing. Waited 2 hours and performed again the nozzle test print and now all are there in nice steps.
Then when I looked at the heaters display it was blank although the heaters are working. Found out the heater display flatcable was affected by previous inkspill due to the defective pump. The heaters were set to 50 degreees before the display cable went south. I assume the heaters work also when the cable is not connected except for the message and the buttons not working. I assume all regulation is done on the heaterboard. Found out the regular control panel flat cable is also a little attacked by the ink. :frustrated:
Both flat cables are 90 cm long and have 26 pins. Any one know a reliable address for these cables or is having defective machine with those cables.

Thanks in advance,

Paco

CRD

5 hours later...........:smile:
Heaters work without control panel.:notworthy:
Now I got it working in the adjustment mode and loading vinyl.
I got the colors in line with the black but between cyan and black there is still a gap.
Is this a mechnical adjustment (moving the black head more sideways to the color head or the color to the black) or is this an electronic adjustment to be made?
I looked for it in the service manual but for the black head I cant find the head adjuster B. Page 156!
From the drawing in the manual I cant locate it on the head.
Hwever I found the one for the color head called Head adjuster A.
Anyone a tip or hint?

Thanks in advance,

Paco

Attachments

• IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 62

CRD

Had to work whole day afterI got home I wanted to start working on the black gap adjustment.
Unfortunenatly JUNIOR decided the other way.
I now only get E074 Error Y current regardless where I place the head.
It just move a few mm mostly to the left and BANG error.
All is flowing freely on the bearings, no blocks as far as I can feel.
It sails on the rails and if this would produce a friction error then the capping would cause an error for sure.

Yesterday it also acted up several times bu in the end I disappeared.
But today JUNIOR decided to act differently.

For previous owners, someone had to change the main/driver pcb for it?
I checked the encoder strip sensor in EXAMIMINATION mode and that works fine.
My supplier has a Y motor in stock for 169 Euro. Now I can try this but.............I do not know if that would cure the problem or it is more then the motor.

Any advice would be welcome.

Paco

CRD

For the head issue and head rank not on the head this the answer from the supplier.

make up your own mind about it. :Sleeping:

Hi,

Epson stopped manufacturing this printhead for Roland/Mutoh two months ago and this explains that the head ID changed. The head is the same though.The solution is the following : take the ID of the head you are replacing and change the middle digit. It can only be 1 or 2. If the old head ID was for instance 22-1-12, install the new head with the ID 22-2-12.

It will work fine this way. There is no important information in the head ID for the printer but it needs to be entered and it needs to be different.

Paco