• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland, 3-year outdoor durability without lamination

GP

Any truth to the claim of 3-year outdoor durability without lamination?

I was talking with a guy locally that says he does not laminate anything?!? Seems iffy to me, but I am still a little green.

I would be interested to hear others' results.

Thanks,
GP

synergy_jim

We have tested it... I have cast printed decals non laminated that are in low abrasion areas that still look great after 3 years.

The problem comes in when things get spilled on the decal or people are cleaning them or using abrasives over top of them. I think it is a valid claim, but not in most real world scenarios.

so... the answer is yes and no.....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What he said.............

We've omitted lamination on numerous occasions and the job is still fine. Not recommended, but it works for certain things.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Only problems with non laminated decals are:

If they touch face to face even after curing for a week they will stick. (double sided coros) It is worse when it is warm. You can combat this by using the liner as slip sheets

Difficult to install large non-laminated graphics (site signs)

Like everone else said, no chemical or abrasion protection.

Ponto

...it's kinda like safe sex... extra protection... you could take chances but... well....

JP

MrDesignGuy

Our shop just bought the Roland soljet III xc540 and was curious about this myself. Wouldn't think I would trust this on a vehicle wrap. I'd assume it would be difficult to wrap without an overlaminate and the cost is too expensive to risk the chance of redoing it for an unhappy customer. Otherwise, temporary signage/decal or economy-intermediate grade vinyls used for short term outdoor jobs seems fine to me sending out the door without lamination.

TheSnowman

When we first got into the printing part of vinyl, we didn't laminate hardly anything, because we didn't have a laminator, and the big squeegee hadn't entered our life yet. They told us it was all good for at least 5 years, so we just didn't make any guarantees past that point. Today, we have our first two jobs, that were bigger, and outside on aluminum or alumalite, and they still look as good as the day they left the shop. They are both exposed, but not down low where road grime can hit them.

We laminate everything that goes out now except for temporary things, but I still think things would be ok if they'd be unlaminted as long as they weren't ever touched by cleaners or road grime.

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
You're a hack if you don't laminate a long term wrap. We laminate just about everything. Peace of mind, plus we use it as a selling point and the cost is minimal. Anything full color is easier to mount and manage with laminant.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
We switched to 3rd party inks BECAUSE they didn't stand behind that claim when it failed.
Yellow literally disappeared in less than 18 months outdoor unlaminated on hundreds of decals placed on trash cans. A few other non-laminated short term decals as well. (all outdoors)
We laminate everything that is supposed to last...but if they didn't even make it half of the "claimed" lifespan, that's pretty pathetic. I sent samples and photos etc and still were told...too bad...they must have been exposed to other chemical agents or something. Pfffft.

What they should say is 3 years outdoors unlaminated if only in shade the whole time.
That's ok...I'm saving a buttload of money each year using Solaris Inks that look just as good and haven't done anything bad to my machine in 4 years.
That's just my experience. Roland makes Awesome machines.

Signed Out

Laminate eveything that isn't temporary. As for non laminated stuff sticking to eachonther, use matte vinyl, it won't stick. We had the problem of double sided unlaminated yard signs sticking to eachother and being ruined, even if the print dried for a week. Found out on here a year back or so, that matte vinyl won't do this. The matte vinyl drys much quicker and you can stack double sided yard signs the same day they come off the printer.

rjssigns

We switched to 3rd party inks BECAUSE they didn't stand behind that claim when it failed.
Yellow literally disappeared in less than 18 months outdoor unlaminated on hundreds of decals placed on trash cans. A few other non-laminated short term decals as well. (all outdoors)
We laminate everything that is supposed to last...but if they didn't even make it half of the "claimed" lifespan, that's pretty pathetic. I sent samples and photos etc and still were told...too bad...they must have been exposed to other chemical agents or something. Pfffft.

What they should say is 3 years outdoors unlaminated if only in shade the whole time.
That's ok...I'm saving a buttload of money each year using Solaris Inks that look just as good and haven't done anything bad to my machine in 4 years.
That's just my experience. Roland makes Awesome machines.

Have you tested the longevity of the 3rd party inks under the same conditions? Inquiring minds want to know.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Have you tested the longevity of the 3rd party inks under the same conditions? Inquiring minds want to know.

Haven't seen the dropout as fast. Several things we've done I see everyday that get full UV are only starting to fade and I still see light yellow...after 2 years.
I just wish they wouldn't be allowed to make the claim if it simply isn't true.

Mosh

I have some window lettering 7 years old...still looks great no lamination, facing the south so it gets sun all day....FROG JUICE!!! Not used any for ages, but it works.

I laminate anything perm that is going outdoor. I stopped laminating interior stuff, didn't see the need other than if there is a chance people will scratch at it.

I too use matte film for coro, stack them the same day no problems, gloss will stick like a mother...

PRS Bryan

Haven't seen the dropout as fast. Several things we've done I see everyday that get full UV are only starting to fade and I still see light yellow...after 2 years.
I just wish they wouldn't be allowed to make the claim if it simply isn't true.

I am sure that is is true, under test conditions, and they have the lab reports to prove it.

Unfortunately few of us install graphics in laboratory conditions. We deal in something scientists are notoriously ignorant of, the real world.

Baz

Unlaminated garbage can stickers? Wow ... I can just imagine the amount of crap and abuse those stickers got.

Yellow is the first color to go though. Way up here in the dark dark north. Prints still look vibrant for a good three years.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Unlaminated garbage can stickers? Wow ... I can just imagine the amount of crap and abuse those stickers got.

Yellow is the first color to go though. Way up here in the dark dark north. Prints still look vibrant for a good three years.

LOL the stickers are on the Lids (outside) of the trash can curbies and aren't really in contact with the contents. How would make only yellow disappear faster than 3 years unlaminated?

Baz

I don't know of any trash can covers that stay clean or dentless. That type of application would call for laminating (for me anyways). As for the yellow. I am just talking from experience with my own prints. I can tell by looking at them that the yellow and lighter tones are fading first.

rparsons

Roland

We laminate every outdoors. With the IOM's no-bubble vinyl @ $130/roll and laminate @ $99/roll, better safe than sorry.