• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland 545EX Blown Power Board

Tyler Durden

Hey Guys,
I am having the worst Friday, I went to turn on my printer and there was no power at all.
I opened it up and checked the main power board fuse and it was blown. So I put in a new fuse (5A instead of the 6.3A) and that made things worse as a Power Resister Heated up and smoked, fuse did not blow though. Not sure why if it was less amps.

I'm not sure what went wrong for the board to go out. I just used it last night and it worked fine.

Anyhow, Does anyone know of a source for a new power board or a person who can repair. It's Friday and I can't call anyone? Google is no help, Only one is on Ebay and from china.

Model is 22425112U0

I'm going to try Roland on Monday, but im not sure if they stock these or will help since I don't have or use a tech.

photo.JPG

Tyler Durden

Didn't you try with a new resistor??

Not yet, I have to order parts, I found one of the transistors is bad too. I just don't know if I replace these items if something else got messed up. There's a lot of stuff on the board, and i'm no electrical engineer.

Will or does Roland sell these?

LFC911

The new p/n for 22425112U0 is 1000007552 and Roland has 9 in stock at a list price of $770.85.

phototec

Have you heard the saying an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure?

Don't know what caused your problem, but I would bet it was some kind of a power (voltage) spike the came into your printer during the night after you left, it may have been large enough to arc across the original fuse and cause damage to the power resistor?

Well, it's a darn good idea to have a power isolator between you building power and your printer, a few years ago we had a lighting strike to a power pole across the street, and the elevated current (voltage) made it's way over to my place and knocked out all kinds of electrical devices, the intercom, digital dimming light switches, the computer, etc.

So, know we have a battery back-up (UPS) which the printer is plugged into, it not only protects the printer from voltage spikes, but also will run the printer for about 45 minutes in the event the power goes out. May not save a really big job, but will defiantly allow us to turn off the printer in a safe way.

First the power supply is now toast, so no harm trying to repair it, I would. I know a TV repair guy and he repairs power supplies on TV's, I purchase parts from digikey and then he swaps them out, and with good success repairing the power supply.

www.digikey.com/

Another avenue is to use solvent ink jet (who is a member here), they don't have the power supply boards in stock, however they can order them from Roland and maybe even have it dropped shipped to you, I would ask. They may be able to have Roland overnight it to you. My old tech guy would have parts from Roland overnighted to the customer's place of business all the time, then when he arrives onsite, the parts are there.

www.solventinkjet.com/

Good luck, and let us know how things progress, this could HELP someone else in the future....

Gene@mpls

My Tech is scrapping a 545- I asked and he has the board. His # is 612 803 5318 - Jeff, he is a good guy. Good luck, Gene

El Barto

So, know we have a battery back-up (UPS) which the printer is plugged into, it not only protects the printer from voltage spikes, but also will run the printer for about 45 minutes in the event the power goes out. May not save a really big job, but will defiantly allow us to turn off the printer in a safe way.

First the power supply is now toast, so no harm trying to repair it, I would. I know a TV repair guy and he repairs power supplies on TV's, I purchase parts from digikey and then he swaps them out, and with good success repairing the power supply.
I use a UPS on my 540 for the same reason. However, on my newer EX model the heater is integrated into the printer's PSU, so the power draw is so high that a UPS goes supercritical the second you turn the unit on. Bad call on Roland's part to integrate it rather than leave it on it's own circuit.

I second the TV repair guys, though. The one I get to do my soldering could probably follow the traces with his finger and point to what's blown. I'd be surprised if having that thing repaired cost more than $200, and $100 seems pretty likely.

Tyler Durden

Thanks all,
I ended up buying a new board from roland, because of the time crunch. I will get the old one repaired and keep it as a spare or list it for sale. Next step is a second printer so I am not put into these do or die situations.

phototec

Thanks all,
I ended up buying a new board from roland, because of the time crunch. I will get the old one repaired and keep it as a spare or list it for sale. Next step is a second printer so I am not put into these do or die situations.

Your next step should be getting a power isolator (back-up), to prevent this from happening again and blowing your new power supply!

BTW: Were you able to purchase the new power supply directly from Roland, how much?

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Tyler Durden

They run about 770+Tax. It's high for what it is, Should really be $100-200, but what can I do, lose money waiting, tinkering?

That ford quote has come into play,
"If you need a machine and don’t buy it, then you will ultimately find that you have paid for it and don’t have it."