• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Black Problem, Static?

ackerman139

Hey guys got a problem with the black only, it is like overspray (but not) its not ink drip, the test print is perfect. It prints perfect for about a foot and a half then black lines start showing up. Anyone know whats up?

Offsite pic replaced. Please read our rules and instructions on photo posting.

Attachments

• 3485yqr.jpg
    3485yqr.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 139
Last edited by a moderator:

NickVonB

Nickvonb
Try cleaning the linear encoder strip - use a damp (not wet) shammy/lint free cloth.
you will probably find the strip/encoding is dirty causing the laser to missread it's position and fire/mist. We have this problem once in a while and generally that sorts it, alternatively give your black head a manual clean and if problem persist do a powerfull clean. (as per our AJ1000)

w2csa

I was able to mitigate my static problem by attaching a cromp on lug to a piece of insulated wire, attaching it to one the srews on the back side of the printer (Attached to a piece of metal that the media will be "Dragging" over the attaching the other end the wire to a electrical ground.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Cleaning the encoder strip should NOT be done with a water damp cloth. The strip is a precision piece of film and water can actually cause problems. The best solution for cleaning it is a microfiber cloth and pure acetone. Acetone does not effect the emulsion on the encoder strip (water will!) and it will clean ink and other stuff off much better than alcohol. I've cleaned several hundred encoder strips this way and never damaged one. Please do not use water.

TresL

That's what mine looked like before I changed the head. It was getting lots of deflections.

I just had something similar happen to me yesterday. The problem was a piece of fluff being dragged back and forth by the print head causing intermittent black lines like the photo shows.

Steve

sfr table hockey

I was kind of thinking debre dragging as well. Is it only black that you notice or is it because the black lays a bit thicker and it is just enough to make it catch the fuzz or hair being dragged. Check the cutter blade if its a print and cut as that seems to catch a lot of stuff. I remove the cutter when just printing. Look for a hair and remove the cutter and see if it goes away before you clean the strip.

If the lines show up in a total non printed area (not just edges of the print) that might be the strip being dirty.

Jack Knight1979

Dirty nozzles with a dragging debris.

Manually clean the heads, do a light head soak.
Then an auto clean and you should be alright.

It looks like you may have a humidity thing going on too. If you are in a low humidity enviro you should look into a humidifier.