• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland BN-20 Overspray after a manual clean.

Hinchy

Hi I have recently had an issue with my Roland BN-20, Prior to the manual clean the nozzle check was fine, a couple of missing lines but all printing was superb no issues at all, After the manual clean, I did a nozzle check and it came out as shown in the photo, So then I did a couple of medium cleans which improved the nozzle check prints a lot to the other image below, But since this, Every time I try to print something there is a black overspray and banding. This is my first solvent printer and I am trying to figure out how to resolve this issue, A new head is out of the question for me since the printer cost me 1k and 1.5k plus other fees is just not feasible for me at this time. I have tried number cleaning, Soaking the capping station in solution with the head parked in it over night. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated for this newbie trying to learn!

I know im asking a lot but if you have any suggestions could you please add a brief explanation of how I would go about doing this, or point me in the direction to a video guide etc.

Thank you in advance for your replies!

Attachments

• Overspray.png
    Overspray.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 112
  • Nozzle 2.png
    Nozzle 2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 69
  • 20240511_130008.jpg
    20240511_130008.jpg
    696.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 20240508_144710.jpg
    20240508_144710.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 63

damonCA21

How did you clean the head manually in the first place? From the nozzle tests it looks like you have damaged it. First step would be to change the captops and see if that improves the test prints

Hinchy

I just did what it said on the utility, I didnt clean the head directly, and I read putting a bit of solution in the capping top which I did also, Thats all i did, Thank you for your reply.

Rbocana

Am new here as well, but it looks similar to what i experienced. checking the BN-20 manual shows this
ThicknessMax. 1.0 mm (39 mil) with liner, for printing
Max. 0.4 mm (16 mil) with liner and 0.22 mm (9 mil) without liner, for cutting

have u checked your media thickness?

Hinchy

Hi, thanks for your reply, I have been using the same media before and after this has happened, I have ordered a new capping top to see if that helps, I have been trying to find a service manual online for the bn20, to no avail unfortunately, if anyone has one of these or knows where I can get one would be much appreciated thanks.

Hinchy

I am not sure if this is related or not, But I have noticed when I am leaving fluid in the cap top to soak the head in until this replacement cap top arrives, it is not draining on its own, Which I beleive it should?

Rbocana

Curious to know.
How old is the machine?
What type of ink are you using?
How often and what type of cleaning?

STEP 6: Maintenance after Daily Operations( ECO-SOL MAX 3)
In order to maintain stable printing at all times, Manual Head Cleaning is required after daily operations when using ECO-SOL MAX 3 ink.
You do not have to perform this cleaning after daily operations when using ECO-SOL MAX 2 ink or ECO-SOL MAX ink, but we recommend that you do so periodically once per month.
 P. 77 ,"Manual Head Cleaning"
1715513459865.jpeg

Hinchy

Hi im using original eco sol max ink, I have personally owned the machine for about 6 months, bought second hand have no idea of its original age, or if its ever had a head replacement ect, when I bought it the test print was near perfect with only a couple of missing nozzles, which has been the same on all the future nozzle check prints I have done after the usual utility cleaning wiping around the head outer, capping station and wipers. So far I have changed the wipers and currently have a cap top ordered and waiting to be delivered. Like mentioned above the cap station is not draining on its own accord when I have filled it with fluid and parked the head in it overnight, I am not sure if it is meant to because I hear to prevent them draining you need to tie off the tubes to prevent this but I have not done that and yet it is still not draining which could be the problem or another problem in itself maybe?
I clean the machine once per week with the standard clean the wipers, the capping top edge, print head edge then I put a little solution in the capping station itself which I read is a good thing to do.

Thank you for your reply Rbocana

Hinchy

1715604371410.png
1715604428704.png
I found this information on the printer, I am guessing the head should of been ok since it doesnt look like its printed all that much and the nozzles fired are under the usual amount before replacement?

Rbocana

Hi, thanks for your reply, I have been using the same media before and after this has happened, I have ordered a new capping top to see if that helps, I have been trying to find a service manual online for the bn20, to no avail unfortunately, if anyone has one of these or knows where I can get one would be much appreciated thanks.
Yes, a service manual is invaluable! A deeper understanding of the machine’s capabilities and limitations can be found there.
In my case, it was for a Mimaki CJV30-130.
Happy hunting!

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
I'd start with changing the cap top, as it sounds like you're in the process of doing. If you think there is a clog in the line you can try pushing some cleaning liquid from the line after the cap top to see if it goes through and comes out into the waste container. If it goes through no problem and you're still having some issues after the cap top replacement, might be worth while to replace the pump. The overspray is typically caused by deflection, either by build up blocking a nozzles or from damage. If none of these help, you might be looking at needing a new head, but hopefully that won't be the case.

Hinchy

Thank you for your reply, I have today changed the cap top, there was no change unfortunately, I am speaking to roland support now and they have requested a picture of the head, Upon taking this photo (which was an utter pain), I have noticed there is alot of lets say dust particles on the head itself. I am wondering if this could be to do with the problem, As I know your not meant the wipe the head, I have tried the usual fluid on a swab and gently pressed onto the head, but it does not seem to help or move those tiny dust particles, Would you think I would be ok to very gently wipe off the dust particles?

Kind regards Kyle.

20240514_140655.jpg
20240514_140646.jpg