• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland BN-20 Streaks Appearing in Prints :(

stitchup

Hi guys

I'm hoping someone might be able to suggest a reason why my prints have streaks/lines of ink appearing in them?

Here's a couple of pics to illustrate:

BN-20_zps10126fdd.jpg

2014-11-22144132_zpsb88744bb.jpg

I've not changed anything - same Roland ECO-SOL inks, same vinyl that is laying absolutely flat. The printer is cleaned when prompted.

I carried out a 'Normal Clean' today and noticed a collection of magenta around the capping station seal and, as you can see, a spot has dropped onto the guide plate!!

MagentainCappingStation_zps328f60f9.jpg

Since the problem started I have noticed this pooling of magenta around the seal before!!

To the untrained eye (mine) I'd say the printhead surface is coming into contact with the vinyl therefore causing the streaks/smudges/lines.

My BN-20 is about 18 months old and had minimal use.

Is it possible the printhead could have come loose and dropped a little? This would explain why there's an abundance of magenta ink around the capping seal. Any suggestions?

I don't have a Service Manual for the printer so it's difficult for me to work out a solution.

Regards

John

Last edited by a moderator:
i had the same problem with my printhead on the VS-420. appereantly the printhead was damaged and i have to replace it now:banghead:. I now need to buy one and it is expansive. I am still trying too figure out which one is better : DX5 or DX6 or DX7 . I hope your printhead is still alive :omg:

stitchup

Thanks for the reply despite it being not what I wanted to hear :)

I can print a perfect nozzle check but just have these darned streaks/lines running randomly through!!

A new printhead is hideously expensive and, to be honest, I'll be really disappointed if after only 18 months of minimal use I have to replace it.

Really sorry to hear about your printhead :( Who told you your printhead was shot? Do you have any other symptoms? Can you print a nozzle check?

Thanks again for the reply.

John

kanini

It doesn't look like a bad printhead yet, but indeed that it's somehow touching the media. It could also be some lint hanging from it but my 0.02 is you have media buckling up. Try another media and see if it occurs again on that. Check your pinch rollers if they are dirty?
If you continue to run like that you really could at some point damage your printhead.

You really should do a manual cleaning with a swab and cleaning solution on your captop, that one looks really messy...
Good luck!

stitchup

Thanks for the reply Kanini.

The picture of the cap top was taken after doing a thorough manual clean followed by a 'Normal Cleaning'. There's definitely no lint hanging from the printhead. This is exactly what I though would be the problem so made sure there was nothing there. I also checked the media for buckling and changed to another. I've even applied a little weight on the leading edge of the media to ensure it's not lifting beneath the printhead.

The pinch rollers are as clean as a babies bum :) - everything is spotless.

I do agree, it looks like the printhead is brushing the media as it prints - is there anyway the printhead could have dropped? I really could do with the service manual so I can check the fixing points.

Thanks

John