• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland BN-20 Thoughts?

WildWestDesigns

One of the members in my trade group was asking about this printer and I know I saw at least one thread about complaints with media availability and compatibility, but after a search I couldn't find it.

So after not having much luck with the search, I thought I would start up a current thread for those that already have this printer.

Pros/cons, would you recommend it, stay away from it etc.

I just bought one. I am new to this so take this as you may.

I have experience with photo printing, and cutting "regular" vinyl only. I am new to the print cut experience.

The machine is slow to do what it does, but it does a nice job. I am impressed by the output although I have never seen another roland do its thing.

It is truly set it and forget it like the old RONCO commercials. I let it run overnight and pick up my stuff in the morning.

Watch the Roland Videos on youtube. The Manual does not begin to explain all the requirements, like needing to leave at least 2.5" for cutting after you print, for instance to laminate. Learned that the hard way this morning matter of fact.

I got my machine last week Tuesday, and already am having a blast and outputting jobs. I hope to pay for this one, and then save for a bigger one to be able to do bigger jobs. This is an awesome machine for what I need.

BCM

kanini

Looked at the BN-20 on a tradeshow and one drawback in my opinion is that it doesn't have heaters (no print heater or dryer), but maybe that's not an issue in real life usage or what do you that use the machine say? Prints beautifully though...

Fivestar

The Manual does not begin to explain all the requirements, like needing to leave at least 2.5" for cutting after you print, for instance to laminate. Learned that the hard way this morning matter of fact.

All you have to do is tape a piece of vinyl to the laminated piece and run it back through.

J

john1

Downfall i see is the media is very limited being it is just 20" wide. I don't know of anyone selling 20" digital media (PSA vinyl, banner material, perf) other than Roland itself

I have heard the metallic and white inks will clog up if not used a lot.

wedosigns

I would have to agree with John1.

They a very limited at 20", they have no heaters, or aggitators for the silver/white. I would not be interested in trying to recover that channel every time you need to use it.

Just saying I think it would be a hard printer to maintain.
Bruce

tomence

They a very limited at 20", they have no heaters, or aggitators for the silver/white. I would not be interested in trying to recover that channel every time you need to use it.

Bruce

It does have a print heater and it's fixed at 95 degrees.

mkubiniok

Hi,

you started a nice thread, because it seems that I had the same thoughts like you, only a few months ago.

In May, i saw the BN-20 on an Expo here in Germany. The machine looked great and I have spoken with an sales agent from Roland. But after a few minutes he told me, that he the machine is very slow, if you want to print in silver, the machine is able to print 20 !!!!! centimeter per hour.

I have to print always very long vinyls, 1,50m x 0,40m so at the beginning I thought that the machine could be interesting. But after a lot of telephone discussions I have bought a Mimaki CJV30-100. That machine was approx 3000 Euro more expensive than the Roland BN-20, but I really love the Mimaki, the machine is wonderful with all kind of media.

So, the BN-20 might be interesting, but if you spend more money, you will get a lot of more flexibility.

WildWestDesigns

I appreciate everyone's feedback. It's very helpful.

I do want to reiterate though that I am not looking at this machine, this is information gathering for a member of my trade group.

I did end up taping another piece of vinyl to the ends and did get my job cut, but it was frustrating that this was not explained in any of the manuals about printing and then cutting and I found it on a youtube video on the UK roland site. Just pointing out that even reading the documentation is not enough.

CS-SignSupply-TT

Thanks for checking us out

Downfall i see is the media is very limited being it is just 20" wide. I don't know of anyone selling 20" digital media (PSA vinyl, banner material, perf) other than Roland itself

I have heard the metallic and white inks will clog up if not used a lot.

john1, please let us know how we may help.

Mike_Koval

Full stock of 20" media for heat applied graphics, banner, decal, glossy photo paper, printable canvas, etc.

PM or call for pricing.

As for the machine itself, great unit for short run apparel transfers and decals. Yes the machine is slow, but it is not meant to be a high production unit. The unit fits nicely for a low volume embroidery or screen printing shop for the 1-12 piece runs or those looking to add some additional revenue with decals and POP displays.

System has a circulating head to prevent the clogging of heads...same as the larger VS models...it uses the same exact print head.

Mosh

OMG....Are we going to start a Cri-Cut thread next. IMO these small printers are for crafters. Any "real" sign shop the gets one is getting ripped off cause they are too small and slow for commercial work.

WildWestDesigns

OMG....Are we going to start a Cri-Cut thread next. IMO these small printers are for crafters. Any "real" sign shop the gets one is getting ripped off cause they are too small and slow for commercial work.

1. This was a fact finding thread for a member of my embroidery trade group.

2. She is not a sign shop. Real or imagined. She is an apparel decorator. Same as myself. Needs are slightly different then they would be for a sign shop.

It is actually the right size for low run apparel decorating, which is what she is wanting it for. I myself wouldn't get a printer wider then 24", unless I was planning on doing all over apparel decorating, which she doesn't have the press for that, so I doubt that would enter into her mind.

dcurtisroland

Bruce

This is all incorrect. Any media supplier should be able to convert larger rolls down to 20" along with the 7 different types of media Roland carries and a number of different decorated apparel materials by other suppliers like Siser and Specialty Materials. There is a platen heater (although not adjustable at a fixed 35 degrees C) and the machine has a re-circulation system to keep white and silver inks agitated.