• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ROLAND BN20 WITH WHITE INK

Joe House

In general, and there are exceptions to the rule, it's a bad idea, especially on a BN-20. If you were talking a high production environment where you used white all the time, with a high production machine (here's where the BN-20 does not qualify) it makes sense. Printing with white will cut your speed in half and the BN-20 prints slow enough as it is. Then there's the general complication that white ink brings to the table. Especially if you're not using it all the time, white ink is more prone to clogging and settling. It also takes longer to dry. Your printer will also go into more frequent cleanings - if you're not using the white all the time you'll probably end up using more in cleanings than you will in printing.
I always discourage getting white ink unless you already have a good market for graphics using white ink. We've sold many printers with white ink only to have the customer complain about the above factors and ask to have white removed from their system.
Sub out white ink jobs till you know you can sustain the business with your own machine. And then think twice before getting white ink in your printer.
I don't mean to rain on your parade, this just my experience as a dealer. Listen to end users as to what they think. And realize you don't have to follow my advice. You may have a great plan and can make it work.

StickerBee

In general, and there are exceptions to the rule, it's a bad idea, especially on a BN-20. If you were talking a high production environment where you used white all the time, with a high production machine (here's where the BN-20 does not qualify) it makes sense. Printing with white will cut your speed in half and the BN-20 prints slow enough as it is. Then there's the general complication that white ink brings to the table. Especially if you're not using it all the time, white ink is more prone to clogging and settling. It also takes longer to dry. Your printer will also go into more frequent cleanings - if you're not using the white all the time you'll probably end up using more in cleanings than you will in printing.
I always discourage getting white ink unless you already have a good market for graphics using white ink. We've sold many printers with white ink only to have the customer complain about the above factors and ask to have white removed from their system.
Sub out white ink jobs till you know you can sustain the business with your own machine. And then think twice before getting white ink in your printer.
I don't mean to rain on your parade, this just my experience as a dealer. Listen to end users as to what they think. And realize you don't have to follow my advice. You may have a great plan and can make it work.
Thank you Joe! Very much appreciated your input!

Jim Hill

Does a BN-20 have DX-4 Heads and how many does it have. Just wondering if it might be time to upgrade.
Thanks Jim

GTSTech_1

BN-20 doesn't use DX-4 heads, believe its' the DX-7. The printhead is the 8 channel model. As a Roland dealer, I would never associate the word "upgrade" when talking about a BN-20 production speeds.

Just my .02