• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland CJ-500 Encoder Error Help

jobshop03

First I'd like to say thank you to everyone.. this forum is a wealth of knowledge and friendly people.. I'm happy to be a part of it all.

I am almost done rebuilding a Roland CJ-500. I have converted it to Eco Sol Max inks and am flabbergasted at how well it prints and cuts. The final issue I have is an Encoder error. Upon start up and test print I get an encoder error about 50% of the time. This ONLY happens at start up. If I am able to start the machine and perform a successful test print I can print all day however next time I start the machine I have a 50% chance of getting the error again. I recently replaced the encoder strip and this has not made made the problem worse OR better. I still get the error just as often. When replacing the encoder strip, I made sure the strip does not touch the reader along the entire length of the machine, side to side or top. I also confirmed that the two peep holes on the encoder reader are covering the strip along the entire length of the machine.

My question is two-fold... Is the next step to replace the linear encoder board? If so, can anyone point me to a Roland dealer that is helpful and willing to sell me parts which I install myself? If not, an aftermarket dealer that sells this part? The Roland part number is (7488710040 Linear Encoder Board Assembly).

I'm a little frustrated buying Roland parts for this machine. One local (Chicagoland) dealer will only sell parts if THEY install them, and the other has taken credit card info but never ordered parts for me even after multiple calls. Therefore, I have resorted to mostly aftermarket but I am unable to find an aftermarket encoder board so thus far. Any help/dealer info/source info is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

-Steve :thankyou:

jobshop03

My "Rebuild" included two new heads, capping station, ink pump, fixed leaking ink lines, replaced or fixed (re-tapped) stripped/missing screws on the carriage, replaced missing springs for the heads, switched back to Roland Eco Sol Max Ink from ebay inks, added heaters front and rear, replaced all dampers, replaced both head cables, replaced main cutter and sheet cutter, executed all adjustments set forth in the service notes and carefully/thoroughly cleaned the machine. The machine now prints and cuts flawlessly with the only issue being the encoder error.

I did not "mess" with the scan or feed motors other than the service menu linear encoder check and scan calibration as described in the service notes. The encoder error has been present since the day I purchased the machine.

Also, I did remove and clean the IR sensor/Linear encoder reader with denatured alcohol and a lint free cloth. Plenty of dirt was removed, but the problem did not become any worse or better. When I replaced the encoder strip I followed the service notes to the letter including a linear encoder check and scan direction calibration in the service menu.

So.. possibly a scan motor or Linear encoder sensor board then would be a consensus?

Thanks again!