• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland CJ-500 into SC-500

MerlinPrints

Hey guys and gals, noob here, just getting started in wide format digital printing....

I am currently in the process of converting an old Roland CJ-500 into an SC-500.

So far i have flushed all the pigment ink out of the machine.

My next step is to flush it with Roland Eco Solvent Cleaner Cartridges.

Then I plan to put in Some Roland Eco Solvent Max inks in it.

I know i need bigger tubes on the drain bottle, on the way, and heating pre and post, also on the way.

I know I will probably need new print heads, capping station, dampers, pump, and wiper. Just want to see if i can get lucky first.

I am just wondering how you change the dip switches on the motherboard to make it boot up SC 500...

Any help and advice will be appreciated, and you will be rewarded someday by someone elses kind help. :thankyou: for your help in advance.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Keith Faulkner

there's a blast from the past, keith is a great guy...

if your heads are open now, they will work, the pump will last a few days before the white hoses start to melt.

capping station will be ok for awhile too.

tiredcreations

I wouldn't recommend changing the dip switch. Caused problems for me. Keep it a CJ and and get familiar with the colors it puts out.

wedosigns

Dip sw on main board (1)on 54" model-off 44" model (2) off (3) on-sc500-off cj500 (4)off
You will have to update your firmware as well.
I have an sc500 and the firmware tells it to spit after everypass, which I think would prevent heads getting clogged.

sfr table hockey

Dip sw on main board (1)on 54" model-off 44" model (2) off (3) on-sc500-off cj500 (4)off
You will have to update your firmware as well.
I have an sc500 and the firmware tells it to spit after everypass, which I think would prevent heads getting clogged.

Any chance that you notice that the printer will come awake out of sleep mode and do a cleaning in the SC500 mode if you leave the printer power on?

The CJ never does but was once told that these printers would (might be just SC mode but never heard another where it did)

I was gone 10 days and had power off on the converted Cj and all I did was get the drain lines clear and then power up, do one cleaning and away it went. Heads never seem to be what clogs on me, its more the drain lines running through the pump.

I have always wondered if I would get any better print out of the SC mode but I get great results and color with the CJ mode so I just never did flip the switch.

Also wonder if that (spit after every pass) would slow the printing down more? How does that seem?

wedosigns

Any chance that you notice that the printer will come awake out of sleep mode and do a cleaning in the SC500 mode if you leave the printer power on?

The CJ never does but was once told that these printers would (might be just SC mode but never heard another where it did)

I was gone 10 days and had power off on the converted Cj and all I did was get the drain lines clear and then power up, do one cleaning and away it went. Heads never seem to be what clogs on me, its more the drain lines running through the pump.

I have always wondered if I would get any better print out of the SC mode but I get great results and color with the CJ mode so I just never did flip the switch.

Also wonder if that (spit after every pass) would slow the printing down more? How does that seem?
I do not believe it does! But I am not sure if I could go into service menu and set it to do cleans.
Yes it slows it down a bit, but my prints are the best they have ever been. Helps I just installed 2 new heads after all that lack of yellow issues I was having.
I will look into the service menu and the sc500 service manual to see if it can be done.
I am a little paranoid now about doing a lot of head cleans. I think it wears them out faster, and dx2 are getting harder to find for a good price.

sfr table hockey

Yes it slows it down a bit, but my prints are the best they have ever been. Helps I just installed 2 new heads after all that lack of yellow issues I was having.

And our printers slowing down a bit is almost stopped :ROFLMAO:.

I never have found anything to do with the sleep mode and cleaning, although I never knew you could add a home made profile to colorchoice either untill on hear, a guy said about just using it as CMYK and sure enough it took the profiles.

Reg cleaning are not so bad, its more the med and powerfull ones as well they just pump more ink so a waste there as well.