• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Roland CJ-500 just purchased

IN-WondeR

I have just bought a used CJ-500 which in the display says E-sol MAX when booting up. Does this mean it´s been converted to run on Eco Solvent ink rather than Aqueous ink?

I was thinking of doing the conversion myself. But if it already has been done then that would just be great. :)

I´m not entirely sure though, but maybe someone can tell me if I might have gotten lucky. :)

Attachments

• 2019-03-31 12.21.07.jpg
    2019-03-31 12.21.07.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 473

FrankW

Shure that is a Cammjet CJ-500 and not a Soljet SC-500? Haven't seen a CJ-500 prepared for eco-sol-ink.

Much more important than what the printer says is: is there a media heater integrated in that printer? If not, it will be useless to convert the printer to eco-solvent, because without a media heater the ink will not work with uncoated media.

IN-WondeR

All the ink tubes, and the dampers seems to be blocked, so I have ordered new ones for it. I will figure out afterwards if I need new heads as well...

IN-WondeR

It says CJ-500 on the label on the back. So I would think it is a CJ-500 And the front of the machine also says CammJet, the Display says SC-500 when it boots though.

IN-WondeR

Just pulled the outfeed front of the machine, I don´t think there´s a heater there... Not sure how it would look.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
hope you didn't pay much for this, this is a path you don't want to walk down.

been there done that, not worth it.

IN-WondeR

Paid $150 for it... So I´m good. :)

I wonder how much it would cost to convert it if possible... Heating strips can be bought for little money, I need a control board, and something to turn the temperature up and down. I have ordered new ink lines, and dampers. Those were $44 so again little money.
The only think that would cost a bit is the heads if they need to be replaced right now, I can get refurbed ready for Solvent ink @ around $150 a piece, so again, not that much again. Still way down on the price of a used Eco Solvent printer.

I know solventprinterconversions.com sell complete kits, but @ $1800 for the kit with new dampers, a capping station and a set of inks I think is a lot of money... But doable still less than a good condition Solvent printer.

So I´m still looking into what can be done to it. Otherwise I will just get it in working condition again and sell it on... Just hoping the heads aren´t fully clogged up, even though it will only be around $350 for two new heads or refurbed heads. So I can get it in working condition for less than $500...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We had a CJ500 and it was aqueous. I know many people converted them, but you realize, this is 20 year old technology. Very very slow. Like mentioned, I sure hope you didn't pay a lot for it.

IN-WondeR

How much else needs to be changed but the addition of heat and new tubes for the heads in order for it to print with solvent?

I really can’t see what else really is needed. Granted the original heads might not last long with solvent ink. But I can always add new head which are prepared for solvent ink. Then the rest should just be in the print profile. Correct?

Heat is a manually controlled setup even with the kit from solventprinterconversions.com and for 1800usd I can get pretty far. I can actually make all the heat for less than 300 including temperature control.

I have already ordered new tubes and dampers for the head. So that’s taken care of. I only need the ink and maybe the heads to get started.

I know it’s not a fast printer. But if it does what it should. The. It’s not a matter of printing really fast. Just printing steady and good.

CanuckSigns

Best thing you can do is trade in the main board for a discount on a new printer, every once and a while there is a promo when you can get $5000-8000 off a new printer when you give them a main board from an old printer.

IN-WondeR

That´s probably not gonna work here in Denmark. Don´t think I can get that much of a new machine here i Denmark. :) Things work a little different here I think.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
So I can get it in working condition for less than $500...

that sounds low, but even if you were able to pull that off, (I converted 5 of these about 15 years ago when the prices were cheaper and i couldn't touch that price) it still wouldn't be worth it.

The daily maintenance required is silly, sure it will print, but you won't make money. I assume the goal is to make money, if this is just a hobby to get a relic working then have at it, otherwise stop the madness....

FrankW

If there is a heater in the machine, there must be a heater controller too. Roland original had a black cube with a switch and a number display on it. Others have different parts, but there must be a heater controller, the heat can't be configured through the printer menu.

Would not make a high effort to convert that machine. As far as I know, some of the parts are not available anymore. Trade-Ins of old machines are common in europe too, HP does that (depending on the new model) regularly, Mimaki and Roland does that from time to time (Germany, Switzerland). Should be in Danmark too.