• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland CJ-60 Pinch Roller marks

jmmccann

This is probably not specific to this particular model of cutter, but I am getting these little pinch roller marks on the vinyl. It seems to be happening only with my center pinch roller. They aren't tracks, it almost looks like it pressed the vinyl a little tight and around the edges of the mark it looks as though the vinyl may have lifted a little. Has anyone seen this before? So far I've gotten lucky and have only noticed it on one particular decal that I had to recut, all the other instances were on a section I was weeding anyway.

Thoughts? Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff.

sfr table hockey

On my CJ 500 I tend not to use the middle roller and mainly just use the two outside rollers for most all I print. The odd time for a banner I need to use the middle roller to help with the feed.

Only other work around for decals and such where you can plan your layout so that the middle roller location will not have anything printed as you kind of did.

In vinyl I too would notice the track marks if I used the middle roller.

If I set the rollers to the very left or right edge of the allowable location you can get more of a crease as opposed to having the roller dead center.

Do you feel you have to use the center roller to have the media feed propper? Or is it more when cutting?

jmmccann

I'm pretty new to this. I actually never thought of moving it out all together. When I bought this machine used, I didn't get the breaks (rings that go around the rollers to keep the vinyl roll in place) or the center hub that goes in the vinyl roll. So, I'm going to order those soon from Roland. The media seems to feed okay, I'm going to try it without the center pinch roller tonight and see what happened. So far, I haven't been doing an awful lot of really large pieces, so I don't think it would be a problem if it wasn't there.

thanks a lot! :)

sfr table hockey

The things that go onto the end of your media would be the flanges. There was a post about making some. I like to use them always, although on the full rolls of heavy media, like banner material, the flanges would not stay on and would fall off due to the heavy weight. I ended up putting a hole through the flange end and I run a 1/4" threaded rod through the core of the media and through the flanges and use a quick nut on the end to tighten the flanges onto the media so it can't fall off.

As for the stops on the roller bars your media or flanges would sit on, you might find something that has that inside diameter that you could put a bolt through and act as a guide for the flanges. Could also be made from wood with a hole cutter.

The media rolls so much nicer using flanges and also your media does not sit right on the rails and develop marks when sitting in one spot too long.

Good to see someone with an old printer that can make me feel up to date with my CJ500.

jmmccann

The things that go onto the end of your media would be the flanges. There was a post about making some. I like to use them always, although on the full rolls of heavy media, like banner material, the flanges would not stay on and would fall off due to the heavy weight. I ended up putting a hole through the flange end and I run a 1/4" threaded rod through the core of the media and through the flanges and use a quick nut on the end to tighten the flanges onto the media so it can't fall off.

As for the stops on the roller bars your media or flanges would sit on, you might find something that has that inside diameter that you could put a bolt through and act as a guide for the flanges. Could also be made from wood with a hole cutter.

The media rolls so much nicer using flanges and also your media does not sit right on the rails and develop marks when sitting in one spot too long.

Good to see someone with an old printer that can make me feel up to date with my CJ500.

I love this old thing! I bought it for the cutter, It doesn't print at the moment, when I bought it they told me the Printhead would need to be replaced. I'm not familiar much with the guts of these things so I haven't considered it. I did find a chinese company though that would sell me the printhead if I ever wanted to replace it for about 300 bucks.