• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland CJ500 converted to a SC500

catldavis

I own a Mutoh but have the opportunity to purchase a SC500 (converted CJ500). What's the current feeling on this printer/cutter? I know it's older but is it worth fooling with? What would be a good price for such a printer? The printer has the original Roland rip with it (ColorChoice V 4.1C), is that rip any good?

Any help would be appreciated.

31legen

RUN!!!!

Run as fast as you can away from it. I started with one and had issue after issue. They are atleast 10 to 15 years old.

Baz

Parts are discontinued for this printer. Including heads.

I have one that's been unplugged for 4 months now.

It's yours for free if you want to pick it up !

Hurry because it's going in the garbage container end of this week!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It's worth more in scrap metal than in perfect working condition. Epson no longer makes heads for this machine and Roland is out of stock. The only place we can get them is Mutoh and they are $700-$800 (more than the machine is worth). The machine was never meant to run solvent inks to begin with and they were a hassle when they were brand new. Finding drivers and profiles is a huge hassle as well. Even compared to machines that came out a couple years after this one was made, the SC500 is slow, bad quality and unreliable. Don't let a cheap price tempt you. This machine will steal your time and sanity.

catldavis

Okay, not good for print, but what about just as a cutter? I'm on a lean budget, would the cutter be better than say a Q130?

31legen

Sc500

I never could get mine to track. Im guessing it had alot to do with the old hard rollers amongst other things. I really would steer clear of it. Just my 2 cents.

catldavis

Okay, I'm smart enough to know when I shouldn't continue. I'm going to pass on it like the comments suggest. Thanks all of you for your input.