• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Cleaning Cartridge How Long Lasting?

prosigner

Hey guys,

We have been using our printer for about ~3 months and we have had some ink droplet problems on the prints so have probably done more manual cleans than should have been needed, but we haven't had any problems for a while. However, we have already run out of our cleaning solution cartridge.

Is this close to the short end of a normal lifetime? Also, is the best way to go with OEM inks from Roland or is there a better way?

Thanks in advance!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
How are you using the cleaning cartridge? Normal use would not require you to use it 3 months after the printer is running. Most users don't use them unless they are moving or storing the printer. Very rarely you should be flushing the system completely.

prosigner

Thanks for the advice guys. We are going to go with the 220cc from our distributor, and yes we do use OEM Roland Inks.

We haven't done too many regular cleans, even at that they are regular settings, not a high power clean.

Maybe it is because a lot got used up in the setup. Can't think of any other reason why it would be already used up.

CS-SignSupply

The initial setup of a Roland SP or VS takes about 2/3's of the cleaning cartridges when inked up for the first time. Give or Take...

rjssigns

Unless you are firing up a new printer, shutting one down for storage, or recovering from garbage 3rd party inks there is no reason on earth to use a cleaning cartridge. Ever.

MikePro

i've been using the same cleaning cartridges for a couple of years now and flush about twice a year.
...but I cheat, and make my own acetone/butyl cellosolve homebrew and refill using trim cap syringes.

+1 to a normal flush basically burning-up one of those small cartridges. whatever is leftover would not be enough to complete a proper flush.

prosigner

Our printer has been automatically cleaning itself every so-often, is that normal? We haven't changed anything since the setup.

We sometimes have used a regular clean if there is a small imperfection on our test print.

We are trying to flush it or anything.

We are still new to the printing game, wondering if this is something we need to address now.

Davidford7

The initial setup of a Roland SP or VS takes about 2/3's of the cleaning cartridges when inked up for the first time. Give or Take...

What? You use cleaning cartridges to ink up printers you install?
Note to self: Find those cleaning cartridges that came with machine.

David

prosigner

Hey CS-SignSupply,

Yes we are running the XR-640. The cleaning cartridge is installed in the 8th slot as you said. Is that normal for more of the cleaning fluid to get used in our case that we are running the 7 color configuration?

CS-SignSupply

Chances are that same cleaning cartridge was used during the ink up process and therefore was not full when inserted into bay 8.

The recirculation line also take a good bit of the fluid out of the cartridge.

I would not expect the cleaning cartridge to run dry for quite a while.

Mosh

Do you clean around the heads and such by hand with swabs and solution? Or are you just thinking plugging the cleaning cart in is going to clean the machine for you....in 8 years of running printers I have never once plugged a cleaning cart into any of my printers.

You have to manually clean them, with solution and with swabs.....